Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2017 13:00

My Dell XPS 13 laptop won't turn on - makes clicking noise

My laptop does not boot up. When I plug in the charger the led light on the laptop indicates it charging but when I go to hit the power button to turn on and I hear a clicking/ popping sound with the caps lock light blinking and led blinking on laptop with a black screen. Please help Dont know what to do have a warranty but am nervous.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 18th, 2017 19:00

Is there any chance you have a HDD and it is clicking?  Or is the clicking in the speakers?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2017 03:00

It would help to know which model (XPS 9330, 9350, L321x, L322x, etc.).  

General troubleshooting:

Unplug the system, remove or disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  If the system has a hard drive, remove and reinstall it as well.

Verify that the AC adapter LED is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, replace it with a new one.

Try powering up on AC only - no battery.  If it will, but won't with the battery connected, the battery is bad -- replace it.

If it still won't power up AND it has a conventional hard drive, remove the drive.  If removing the drive allows powerup, the drive is bad and will need to be replaced.

If the system has a solid state drive only and/ or removing the drive doesn't produce results, you have a bad mainboard.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2017 18:00

XPS 13 9333

Service Tag:  Express Service Code: 

No its a SSD and cant remove battery all above does not work

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2017 18:00

Sounds like you have a bad mainboard.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

No Events found!