Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2017 10:00

My Dell XPS 17 L702X just stopped working and now won't boot.

I was using my Dell XPS 17 L702X last night and it suddenly switched itself off with no warning.  I pressed the power button to reboot it but it won't restart.  When the power button is pressed, it lights up, sounds like the HDDs spin up, the row of LEDs on the control strip to the right of the power button light up in sequence, then all go off and it shuts down (all within about 3 seconds).  No sign of life on the screen at all.  I've tried numerous times, both on battery and on mains (including mains with the battery removed). The battery is fully charged (all LEDs light when pressing the test button).

I've removed each of the RAM cards, both in turn and together and even swapped them over.  With all RAM removed, I get the usual two beep code.  Likewise, I've removed/swapped the two HDDs.  I've tested the HDDs on another PC and both are fine.

I've stripped the laptop down to motherboard level, checked connections, removed/tested/replaced the BIOS battery and even re-seated the processor and cleaned the fan, etc.  There's no obvious signs of component damage.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, any ideas on what the problem might be?

Mike

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 12:00

This is a bad mainboard -- whether you want to spend $250-350 or more on a system of this age (vs replacing the system) is what you'll need to consider.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 14:00

I was beginning to suspect as much...  I certainly don't want to splash out on a new motherboard only to find it's the processor or something else.  Maybe it's time for a new model... shame as the L702X is a good spec and still has good components (HDD, RAM, etc)

52 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 14:00

So this is a laptop ? I would check the cables whether they are connected firmly, they'd of gotten loosen when you removed the cover. Also, did you replaced the correct screws in their rightly spot?

No Events found!