Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 22nd, 2013 21:00

My Laptop Makes Beep sound when I press power button and it wont Start

Hello,

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15z touch ultrabook and when I pressed the Power on button, it starts making beeping sound and doesnt start. Screen is totally blank. What to do ? Please help

--- Mayur Gala

807 Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Are you saying you've now re-seated the RAM and are still getting 4 beeps...or are you just repeating yourself?

If you are still getting four beeps after re-seating the memory then it needs replacing.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

4 beeps pause then 2 more times. second light comes on.

807 Posts

August 1st, 2013 13:00

Re-seat the memory or in simple terms remove each memory module and replace it ensuring it is properly seated. Reboot laptop and check for 4 beeps / redo diagnostic and check for same error code. If you hear the same 4 beeps or get the same error code then the memory needs replacing.

You don't need to turn the laptop on to re-seat the memory in fact I highly recommend against it.

If you don't know how to or don't feel comfortable doing it, then get someone else to do it - preferably someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd of posted a link to your laptop model service manual which has a guide for installing memory, but you haven't said what it is. If you feel you would like to have a go at re-seating the memory yourself, then please post back with the exact model.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2013 13:00

How  do u reset it? My comp wont even come on.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 15R

7 Posts

August 1st, 2013 21:00

I think I should just send it in cause I just bought it in begining of march so I still have warranty on it plus paid for an extra yr. :-)

2K Posts

August 1st, 2013 23:00

Hi sndkrs79,

Appreciate your cooperation so far. If the reseating memory modules have not worked then send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation

August 16th, 2013 06:00

My Laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 suddenly showed Blue screen during my usage and gone off . I power it up again but it don't start at all . Instead, after some time it beeps 4 time repeatedly . I powered it off that time, then i tried 3-4 times to switch it up but of no avail . I detach the battery from it and unplug it for some time .

Now when i start it up again it just show the power light on and nothing at all happens . Its fan is running and two lights are on (one of power and second of charging), no beep sound and no display .

What should i do now ?

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Umar,

Try and release the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the power supply.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power supply. Try to restart the computer and check.

If you are able to boot the system or get the display, run diagnostics to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

If the issue still persist, connect the system to an external monitor and check if you get any display on it or not. This will help us identify the issue further.

The 4 beep codes indicates memory failure in Inspiron N4050. I recommend that you remove and reseat the Memory module and check functionality. You may refer to the Service Manual of this system for instructions on replacing the parts. Please follow the safety guidelines. Please try using one memory module at a time in both the slots to identify if memory has failed or if there is an issue with the memory slot.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

807 Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

3 = Chipset Failure

5 = CMOS Battery Failure

I'd replace the CMOS battery first. If you still get 3 beeps after this then replace mainboard

1 Message

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Hey, I have a huge question. My laptop beeps, I followed the code chart. And it was 3 & 5. What should I do?

August 17th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Mr. Saharsh K for your guidance .

Firstly, i pressed and hold the power button and tried to run the system but of no avail . Then as you suggest, I disassembled the laptop, change system RAM with one of my friend's and start the system again . It ran smoothly and there incurred no problem at all . It means my laptop RAM got dead or something .

Will you please tell me if there is any possible way to repair that RAM or i have to purchase a new one ?

Thanks again for your co-operation .

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 12:00

You can't have the memory modules repaired - you will need to replace them.

1 Message

August 18th, 2013 14:00

I have 7 beeps, Can someone please help me

1.5K Posts

August 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi Umar,

Thank you for sharing the information. As correctly mentioned by ejn63, the memory modules cannot be repaired and you will need to replace them. If the system is under warranty please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). If the system is out of warranty, then you may refer to the link http://dell.to/12LmNBq to contact Dell's Expired Warranty Support team for assistance (Applicable for US Customers).

If you are in a different region, go to http://dell.to/18NmI2D select the country/region from the top, scroll down and click on 'Contact Dell Sales' to get the contact information.

@JrayR: Please share the exact system model and operating system installed. I'll be happy to assist further.

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!