Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2016 06:00

My laptop beeps 8 times and won't start.

Hi! My laptop (dell 7447) beeps 8 times on start up and shows nothing on the screen.Pressimg function key 12 (F12) showed nothing too.I tried that many times thought.But when i pressed "D" with the power button while starting the laptop some series of color came on the screen But then again the screen went blank and the beeping re-started.Help please.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 08:00

8 beeps means the display panel isn't recognized.  The first thing to check/replace is the cable that runs between the mainboard and back of the display panel.  If that doesn't solve it, and the display does show the diagnostic color panels, then the next possibility is that it's the mainboard that's bad.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 08:00

Are you sure about the count? 7 beeps could mean a processor failure. If you are under warranty, use the Dell Support page to report it. See this for troubleshooting--

www.dell.com/.../SLN296447

Try to get to the Diagnostics by shutting down by holding the power button for 10-30 seconds until all lights and sounds are off. Restart and begin tapping F12 immediately without waiting for any screen. Tapping works better than simply pressing.

No Events found!