Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2017 06:00

N5110 display issue

Hello, I've tried searching but didn't find a full explanation for the issue I'm having, I'm military and this is my only way to get online besides work :/..

My N5110 took a fall, screen only displays black, 8 beeps on startup, but the external pc port works, hdmi so far hasn't been working but may jist be the monitor I tried

I bought a new lcd, it powers up BUT it only displays white, and holding d+ while powering on has no change, I see no signs of the self test running, still just the whitish gray blank screen and 8 beeps on startup with the new screen, wiggling also does nothing.

Does it sound likey new screen is defective,  the cable is faulty or what?  Is there any way to test the video card separately?   Is the board broke?  Sorry it's just frustrating to pay 50$ for a screen and I'm not even sure if

The screen is good.

Thanks for the help!

Pat

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2017 05:00

Unless you've got another system for testing that screen -- or another screen for testing your system, about the only test you CAN do is to attach an external monitor. If is shows a good image, it may not be the GPU.  If it doesn't, it is -- and everything you've posted point to a bad system board.  However, realize that a dying GPU CAN be bad on the internal display and OK externally -- it's not a conclusive test.

These systems are selling for well under $100 on EBay -- working and complete.  Given its age, you may be better off just replacing the system with another used one -- and for not a lot more money, you can also consider buying a newer model system.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 6th, 2017 07:00

I suspect strongly the screen wasn't the issue -- it sounds more like a bad GPU than a bad screen.

December 9th, 2017 05:00

Does anyone know a way for me to test the gpu?  Would the gpu have any impact on the screen not preforming the display test?  The new one lights up white, the old one is completely dead so obviously the old screen is broke but I'm wondering if the new one is also bad.

Thaks

December 11th, 2017 00:00

The external monitor displays fine, files work, everythin I can check works, just not the on board screen.

No Events found!