Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2015 15:00

NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL

No brightness control in Windows 10 on XPS 14 (L421X, Mid 2012). Had this same problem in Windows 8/8.1. Before, using Dell's outdated driver in lieu of a more recent one from Intel brought back the brightness control functionality.

Dell has released their drivers (already outdated) for this laptop for Windows 10, and it is listed as being supported for Windows 10. Is there any chance we can get some working drivers?

December 7th, 2015 14:00

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1   ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver,     Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit  in  Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=       f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to:  (   f008   )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=        f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 30th, 2015 19:00

HI changeisabsolute,

I would suggest you to install the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia /AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

July 30th, 2015 19:00

That's what I'm using and there is still no brightness control. Is there a way to escalate  this issue?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 1st, 2015 20:00

HI changeisabsolute,

Sometimes due to drivers corruption you will tend to face this issue. I would suggest you to follow the previous steps provided by me to completely remove corrupted drivers and then install the latest available drivers on Dell support site.

August 1st, 2015 21:00

Yeah, no, thus isn't the issue. Nice try at a phony answer ;-) Like I said before, this needs to be escalated.

August 2nd, 2015 14:00

I am having the same issue with my L421x XPS Ultrabook. Windows 10 video drivers provided by Dell and Microsoft eliminate brightness adjustments. I've deleted and reinstalled drivers as you've suggested (through the device manager) and the problem persists. There is clearly a problem with the driver code. 

August 2nd, 2015 15:00

Aaaand.... Even if the Dell drivers worked, Windows Home instantly reinstalls theirs automatically even if you use the Hide Update Tool. Best resolution is to downgrade to Windows 8.1 and use Dell supplied drivers from years ago since they will never fully support this laptop.

7 Posts

August 4th, 2015 06:00

I have same issue only working:

Intel HD Graphics Driver for W8.1 from 15 Oct 2013 !!!!!

Version 10.18.10.3262,A00

DELL do something witch THIS!!!!!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 4th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to check for Intel driver from Intel website by running Intel driver utility on the system using the link below and install the video card drivers recommended for your system.

http://intel.ly/19AORvw

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

I'm getting: No drivers where detected for you product.

On drivers for 8.1 getting error message: Drivers stop working when i turn on my xps.

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 08:00

I installed the windows 8.1 drivers, too. After the next Windows update, the new drivers were back and brightness controll didn't work any more. But if you go to device manager, "graphics" (i don't know the exact english term), you find your graphic boards. Right click, "update driver", "search on computer", "choose from a list". There you will find the new driver and the old Windows 8.1 driver. Doubleclick the old driver and done. 

At my XPS14 everything works fine, even updates do not change anything. Brightness controll(with the old intel driver) and games (with the old nvida driver) work fine. One little problem still exists: the driver crashes when display turns off and on. But that's no big deal.

To the Dell support: I really hope you deliver the necessary windows 10 drivers for xps devices. I think this is mandatory to keep customers. XPSs are expensive Laptops and if the new Windows does not work any more, i surely won't by expensive Laptops any more. 

PS: My old Stduio15 laptop works perfectly fine with the drivers provided by Windows. So why the trouble with XPS?!

1 Message

August 9th, 2015 01:00

1. Go to DISPLAY SETTINGS (right click on the desktop)

2. Switch off 'adjust screen brightness automatically'

5 Posts

August 9th, 2015 08:00

I have the same problem on Dell 7548 after upgrade at Windows 10 and upgrade latest driver. Key F11 & F12 brightness control is dead!

About your suggest, I do not have this option (switch) in windows 10.

1 Message

August 9th, 2015 16:00

Just chiming in to help boost the importance of this topic. I too am having this exact problem with my XPS 15 (L521X, Mid 2012) that also uses the Intel HD 4000 even after this laptop was recently confirmed by Dell as being upgradeable to Windows 10. Only the older Windows 8.1 driver allows the brightness control to work.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2015 18:00

I am facing the same issue with exact same model, XPS L421X, with Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 630M.

The brightness control works with older Win8.1 drivers, but they crash on resume from sleep/hibernate, and afterwards, all videos showed are messy until I restart.

Using driver from Windows Update works but brightness control doesn't work. I just found that there are new drivers for my laptop, installed as recommended above in this thread (delete checkbox on uninstall).

Did restart, then installed new drivers, they also don't fix the brightness control. This is real issue and it needs a fix ASAP.

Also, these drivers are older what we have on Windows Update, so Dell please make them to latest version as well.

// chall3ng3r //

No Events found!