Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

68 Posts

March 14th, 2006 01:00

NeoMagic 2200 Audio Drivers for CpiA - not correct?

I have a secondary laptop which is a CpiA which has a NeoMagic 2200 video as well as audio driver.

The problem is that when I installed the Win98 drivers (upon reinstalling after a crash) I found the drivers worked just fine for the display but NOT for the audio.  It was not recognized as an audio device.

I double checked and the EXACT same driver file is used for audo and display drivers.

How do I get this to work?  What might be wrong, here?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2006 22:00

WIN98SE WDM drivers are NOT COMPATABLE with WIN95 or WIN98

If you have WIN98 NON SE drivers you MUST USE WIN95 drivers instead.

This is not optional. WDM is not compatable with VXD

623 Posts

March 15th, 2006 22:00

"I double checked and the EXACT same driver file is used for audo and display drivers."

That's strange.  My old Win98 CPiA uses different drivers.  I used the neow9806.exe driver for video and zn2vu05.exe driver for audio.

BTW, you'll find you won't have midi support in Win98.  Contact me off-forum if you want all the gory details of my quest for a midi driver.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 16th, 2006 03:00

Wingroove might work for midi

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 03-16-2006 12:10 AM

68 Posts

March 16th, 2006 18:00

Speedstep, I have Win98SE on that machine.  Anyway, the driver I downloaded was the one that came direct from Dell on the website using the service tag.  I'm not sure which drivers you are suggesting I use.

Why would Dell put the same audio drivers as the video drivers on the website if those drivers don't work for audio?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 16th, 2006 18:00

I am assuming here that Your system did not come with WIN98SE.
AKA = Not supported on your system.

WIN95/WIN98 VXD driver model is not compatable at all EVER with WIN98SE WDM.

So not working can be any number of things including mismatch of directx etc.

This is also why Directx 8.0 is MAX for Win95/98.

Windows Media player series 9 and Directx 9 are only compatable with WIN98SE and up.

If you installed the drivers with SB emulation that may or may not be the problem.
It could also be that you should not have installed ANY drivers at all for WIN98 but instead
installed chipset drivers and then it would have found WIN98SE drivers for your system.

I dont know this as I dont have a CPIa. Many GX1 users corrupt the registry installing VXD drivers
onto WIN98SE when they shouldnt because WDM drivers are built in for the onboard audio. Once done
the install and INF files and Registry is UNCLEAN and will not work EVER AGAIN until hack and crack or
format and reinstall. Could also be problems with conflicts based on APM VS ACPI. Most DELL LAPTOPS have the ACPI PREVENTION REGISTRY PATCH on the diskette and recommend NOT UPDATING BIOS UNTIL THE REGISRY is patched.

Patch/Upgrade

Release Title: Patches And Fixes: Dell ACPI Prevention Patch for Windows 98, Multi System, A01
Release Date: 08/07/2000
Description: Dell Portable Systems ACPI Prevention Patch for Windows 98

ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/runmea01.exe

NeoMagic NM2200/NM2360+AC97 w/ SB emulation
Driver

Release Title: Audio: NeoMagic NM2200/NM2360+AC97 w/ SB emulation, Driver, Windows 95, Windows 98, Multi Language, Multi System, v. 2.04.0053Q , A05
Release Date: 02/28/2001
Description: NeoMagic NM5/NM6 98/95 audio driver setup-based install

68 Posts

March 17th, 2006 01:00

Speed,

<< If you installed the drivers ....  >>

THAT is, indeed, the problem.  I can't even install the drivers to start with!

When I try installing them for audio, I get the message "the specified location doesn't contain information about your hardware" or something similar and they don't install at all.  It's as if they weren't AUDIO drivers at all.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2006 14:00

Neomagic is an AC97 codec. You cannot "Install" that type of driver by Pointing to the directory and say update driver. What you must do is run the SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE file from the directory where the files reside and let the os find it in plug and play fashion.
If this is a dell and dell software that would be from C:\Dell\Drivers\XXXXXX where XXXXXX is the drivers directory.
No Events found!