Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2013 08:00

New 6430u smells awful

So a few weeks ago I got a new Lattitude 6430u for work.

The machine is great, but it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcats litter box.  It is truly awful!  

It  seems to be coming from the keyboard.

Anybody got any advice on removing the smell?

• 

6.9K Posts

October 30th, 2013 14:00

Hello,

If you are having an issue with your laptop smelling bad please see the following link. http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2013/10/30/solution-to-the-latitude-6430u-odor.aspx

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

October 31st, 2013 17:00

As Sam mentioned above and as you are all probably aware by now, we do have a fix for the E6430u Smell issue. I want to thank each and every one of you for your patience as we worked thru this situation. We are committed to our customers and delighted to have been able to have brought this to resolution.

1.3K Posts

June 27th, 2013 14:00

Hi three west,

Remove the keyboard and try to clean it with a soft cloth. Also use a can of compressed air to clean the Keyboard area. Please follow the instructions from the manual to remove the keyboard.

ftp.dell.com/.../latitude-6430u-ultrabook_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi hotecha,

I am sorry about this, you can clean the laptop air vents using the can of compressed air, if the issue still persists, I would suggest you to contact the local technician and they will help you further.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 19:00

Same experience.  I thought for sure one of my cats sprayed it, but there was something faulty with it so I had it replaced.  The next one had the same exact issue.  It's embarrassing taking it to clients because it smells so bad.

6 Posts

July 24th, 2013 12:00

No amount of compressed air is going to help the awful stench coming from the keyboard

2 Posts

July 28th, 2013 15:00

Thanks.. I am having the same issue. When I started using the laptop at the end of last week I thought I smelt something odd. Well.. here I am Sunday doing some work on the couch and my wife says "what stinks like cat pee". I said.. I think its this laptop.. puts her nose up to the keyboard and BAM! It really stinks.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 28th, 2013 20:00

Hi gambit29,

You can clean the laptop air vents using the can of compressed air, if the issue still persists, I would suggest you to contact the local technician and they will help you further.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2013 02:00

Unfortunately same problem here in the NL. I'm the second one in our company with this problem, cleaning is not possible, it doesn’t go away. Mine is on its way to Dell now to replace keyboard and palm-rest. The smell isn't coming from the fan on below, but definitely from the palm-rests.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 31st, 2013 03:00

Hi Richard,

I am glad that your system is getting fixed, please let me know the system service tag, express service code or dispatch number through a private message, so that I can check and let you know the status of the repair.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

6 Posts

July 31st, 2013 18:00

Would greatly appreciate it Richard if you would update us on this.  I'm not sure I can live with this smell for the life of the machine, but don't know how long they would have to have it and if I could be without it for that long.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2013 00:00

Sure no prob, I will keep you posted. I work at a large company with thousands of Dell machines, so they gave me a temporary laptop in between.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2013 08:00

Today they have replaced my keyboard and palm rest at he office. I am not sure if the smell is really gone, it seems not to... We'll keep an eye on it together with the guys from our ICT dept and local Dell mechanics. Can be that thy have to dig deeper for this problem...

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

August 1st, 2013 21:00

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update, please let me know if you need any assistance in future.

August 15th, 2013 09:00

We hope to provide a fix very shortly.

No Events found!