Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2012 09:00

New Inspiron 15SE 7520 no wireless N (windows 8)

Hi

I have a brand new Inspiron 7250 which I have use done a clean install of Windows 8 (64 Bit), installed the driver (64 Bit) from the dell site and it only connects in G mode 54Mbps and only sees the 2.4 GHz channel, this card supports N mode upto 300Mbps right? and should also see the 5 GHz freq as well but it doesn't.

The laptop has a Intel Centrino wireless N-2230 adaptor

My wireless hub it fine as both my Ipad and my work Dell Latitude connect in N mode fine and see the 5GHz freq.

Anyone else had this or know a solution?

thanks

Chris

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

October 28th, 2012 11:00

Hi Chris,

Intel Wireless 2230 adapter is a single band, multi-stream card and is designed to deliver up-to 300mbps speed. You may want to refer to the 'Intel document' that describes the technical details of this card:  http://intel.ly/SqK32s

Please try the following troubleshooting steps to fix the issue:

1. Configure the wireless adapter's advanced settings:
- Type 'Device Manager' (without quotation) on the main screen
- In the search results, click 'Device Manager'
- Click the + sign to expand the 'Network Adapters' entry
- Right-click the wireless adapter (Intel Centrino Advanced n2230) and click 'Properties''
- Click the 'Advanced' tab to configure the advanced settings
- Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.
Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

- The following adapter settings can be found under the Advanced menu. Please match the settings with the values given below:

Property Value
802.11n channel width for band 2.4 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n channel width for band 5.2 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n mode Enabled
Fat channel intolerant Disabled
Roaming aggressiveness Highest
Throughput enhancement Disabled
Transmit power Highest
Wireless mode 802.11a/b/g

- Click 'Ok' to save settings and re-check the wireless performance

2. If the issue still persists, try updating wireless card drivers:
- Click http://dell.to/S2iVow to download the updated driver for 'Windows 8'
- Save the file on 'Desktop screen'
- Right click it and select 'run'
- Continue to install as per the on-screen instructions
- Restart the laptop and recheck wireless performance

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2012 13:00

Sorry this did not work.

and the following settings were not available:

-802.11n channel width for band 5.2 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)

-Throughput enhancement Disabled

I have already tried that driver from the dell web site.

Any ideas?

Chris

5 Posts

October 28th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Yes I can see its only 2.4Ghz, but Im only connecting at 54 Mbps ( G)  it should be capable of up to 300Mbps N on 2.4gHz

Chris

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Chris,

If I read the specifications for the wireless adapter correctly, this adapter is a single band and work ONLY on 2.4GHz.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Chris,

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced, look and see if this adapter has antenna diversity. Soem adapters have it and some don't. If your adapter has it, try changeing the antenna diversity from Auto to Aux.

Also try reading...

Intel ~ Recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

5 Posts

October 29th, 2012 13:00

yup done all that no change it will only connect in G 54Mbps not N upto 300

5 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 05:00

Found the issue, you need to enable WMM in your router.

"Basically, the 802.11n spec requires devices to support 802.11e (Quality of Service [QoS] enhancements for wireless LAN) in order to use HT (High Throughput) link rates, i.e. higher than 54 Mbps. (WMM is a subset of 802.11e that was created by the Wi-Fi Alliance as a stop-gap measure while 802.11e made its way slowly through the IEEE review process.) WMM's Traffic Identifier (TID) field is key to aggregation mechanisms, including block acknowledgement (block ACK),  that enable 802.11n's high throughput rates"

3.8K Posts

May 21st, 2013 07:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                            

No Events found!