Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2015 20:00

New XPS 15 (9550) Electrical/Static Sound and Occasional Flickering

Whenever I maximise my videos, or load a graphic-intensive page, there is this strange sound that will issue from my laptop. It's sounds like 1 second of white noise we hear on radios when no shows are ongoing, and it's frankly disappointing to experience this given that my laptop is only a day old.

Occasionally, the screen would occasionally flicker too, which is rather alarming.

My setup is i7, FHD, 512SSD and 16gb memory.

What can I do to resolve this?

Thank you.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2015 16:00

I have a similar thing with mine. Also only a day old at the moment and I get intermittent bursts of static, seemingly at random.  I get it a lot on youtube videos and Binding of Isaac, but not Gauntlet so far that I have heard. 

Had the screen flicker a few times because apparently the display driver crashed. I got a little pop up notification when that happened. 

I have the exact model as you to boot. High End, Non 4k.   Does your power adaptor make a *** ton of noise?

November 4th, 2015 17:00

I hear the static sounds whenever Netflix streams a new episode after I finished the last one, and whenever YouTube plays one of those annoying advertisements that is scattered throughout their videos. After some googling, it seems like people were having this issue since a few years back though. Some of them blame Dell Assist and Dell Support Agent for it, but well.. I have tried deleting both and the sound remains... (in fact, I can't even find one of those apps on my laptop)

And yes, the display driver crashes with alarming frequency. Although, sometimes, my screen goes black and resumes its function without showing that message, so I really don't know what's happening.

My adaptor is fine, thankfully.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2015 18:00

It is probably too early to tell but I uninstalled the Dell Assist and Dell Support and I haven't heard anything wrong for the last ten minutes or so. I'll report back later if I hear another glitch. 

When you say you deleted both of them you mean you uninstalled them right? If you just deleted them then remnants of the code could still be doing terrible things to you...

Have you tried turning off the MaxxAudio stuff?

27 Posts

November 4th, 2015 18:00

same issue here. When listening to Spotify the volume changes frequently and some time I hear strange noises.

This issue bothers me less than the poor scrolling with the touch pad though.

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 19:00

I have exactly same issue here.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2015 14:00

No sound issues but having the same screen flickering problems. (set up is i7, 4K touch, 512 SSD and 16GB RAM)

November 8th, 2015 22:00

I haven't noticed any sound issues on mine that I got last week, however... I have the Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M graphics combo with the NON 4K FHD 1080P screen and the intel driver is causing random screen flickering for me. So you are not alone with that issue.

- Dan

• 

351 Posts

November 9th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

I'm escalating these 2 issues so we can try and get them resolved.

Can you let me know what versions of the BIOS, Audio and Graphics drivers you have on the system and you are running Windows 10?

4 Posts

November 9th, 2015 18:00

I'm experiencing flickering on my display and crashing Intel 530 drivers. I'm running Version 20.19.15.4300,A02 on bios versions 1.0.3

4 Posts

November 10th, 2015 09:00

Are there any updates to this issue? This is definitely a premature driver. 

If there are no updates by Friday I will most likely return the XPS 15 9550.

I find this kind of out of box instability unacceptable for a $2000 machine. 

1 Message

November 10th, 2015 10:00

I have the same issues with my Surface pro 4. Random popping sounds and display driver issues. Problems appear to be software related something with Skylake and Win 10. Since issue is across hardware platforms hopefully it is fixed shortly.

Currently awaiting delivery on my new XPS 15.

• 

351 Posts

November 12th, 2015 02:00

There's a BIOS update due to be released in the next few days for the 9550 that should help to resolve these issues. When it's released I'll post the link here. 

• 

351 Posts

November 13th, 2015 02:00

The BIOS for the 9550 has been updated today and is now live on the support site. Please install it and let me know if it resolves the flickering or the audio issue or both

9550 BIOS 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

38 Posts

November 13th, 2015 02:00

Btw. I have experienced her issues too.

27 Posts

November 13th, 2015 05:00

I saw the email first thing this morning so I go tall excited and jumped out of bed quick to install it. Unfortunately less then 10 minutes later I got the Inter Driver crash error. I don't seem to have the sound issue so I can confirm if it helps with that though

No Events found!