Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2009 12:00

New XPS 16 Freezes

First let me apologize:  I posted in audio when I thought I was posting in general.  Mea culpa.

I have had my new XPS 16 for 5 days.  Runs Windows 7 64x.   The laptop occasionally freezes.  Happened 4-5 times.  No changes to the factory settings.  I have Open Office installed, but the problem occurred before anything was installed.  There's no pattern.  Nothing I can identify as a possible cause.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Does anyone know how to correct it?

25 Posts

January 31st, 2010 09:00

Funny thing, mine hadn't frozen for 5 days or so, I came here to read this reply and it locked up while I was reading as I just pulled the adapter as I was reading.

bphillips, I don't know if I understand what you're saying, are you saying it should only be freezing when plugged in, or unplugged?  Mine just froze the moment I disconnected the adapter.

Also, what exactly does the throttlestop do?  Is it a workaround for now or something to use AFTER you get a new adapter?  This is all after I've had the Motherboard and adapter already replaced.

Thanks.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 10:00

I disgree with the linkage between throttling and freezing.  The freezing was occurring even with low cpu activity.

I reinstalled Windows using the Dell OEM CD and all Dell Drivers (from the web siite).  This also served to remove a lot of bloatware.

So far I have not had any freezes (3 days and counting).

Note that there is now a new version of the BIOS available (A06). This may have been all that was needed but I had already done the rebuild when it came out (yesterday).

5 Posts

March 9th, 2010 17:00

I have the exact same issue. I got my new studio XPS16 a few days ago (Windows 7 64-bits, processor i7) and I get 1 random freeze per day. It happened today and made me lose some work :/ I haven't called Dell yet, because I was trying to see on the web if I could find a solution to the issue. I guess the solution will be to talk to Dell and maybe return the computer. The freeze is really random. It happened once at the beginning of the day when booting the machine as the facial recognition thing was starting. It happened once at the end of the day as I was accessing a web page. It also happened once this morning as I was accessing MSN Messenger.

I use this computer for work, so I really can't have it freeze like that at random.

1.8K Posts

March 9th, 2010 19:00

You may want to read this thread.   It's stickied at the top of these boards and has some useful information in it.

11 Posts

March 28th, 2010 07:00

Hi

Have you resolved the XPS 1645 laptop freeze issue?  I just received a new Studiao XPS 1645 (4 days ago).  I am facing the same freeze issue.

These are my laptop specs

Studio XPS 1645

CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM

Memory: 8GB DDR3

BIOS: A08-03/12/2010

Any help is much appreciated.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2010 07:00

I recommend reformat and reinstall windows from the OEM CD and the drivers from Dell's web site. That did the trick for me.  I have not had a freeze since (2 months+).

2 Posts

November 19th, 2010 08:00

I have had this freezing problem too on my XPS1640. It was really annoying! Very intermittant with no obvious trigger so I couldn't replicate it. Unable to move cursor, Ctrl+Alt+Del no response, even the second hand on clock gadget stationary.

A new HDD didn't fix it, and swopping around the RAM in different combinations didn't either. Interestingly, running the laptop without battery, just on ac adapter seemed to stop the freezing issue.

Reporting the problem to Dell resulted in them sending an engineer under warranty with new motherboard and screen (my screen was shipped with fault) which has fixed it so far. (Two days running without a lockup whereas before it would be several times a day).

No Events found!