Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2011 01:00

New XPS L702X Screen 'flickering' (with video) please watch.

I recently bought the L702X with a Nvidia GT555M and i7 2630QM. I am very happy with the laptop, except for one problem.

When using the laptop in 'balanced' or 'power saving' mode, the screen flashes of flickers. This only occurs when using the machine on battery. I am using the latest drivers which I have downloaded from the Dell website (8.15.10.2321'. The driver is recommended for my laptop. It is the 17 inch Full HD AG screen.

I´ve tried to make a video of the problem:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jpUOopF54

Is this a known error? Or is my laptop hardware failing? Upgrading to the newest drivers from the Intel site does not solve anything.

I thought Dell Battery Meter might be responsable for the problem, but I disabled it and the problem still occurs. When running on the deticated graphics card (gt555m) there is no flickering.

Please respond. Any help is apprechiated.

39 Posts

August 24th, 2011 13:00

press f12 and go through the diagnostics, on battery and without seperately, then post results please.thanks

5 Posts

September 15th, 2011 02:00

Try this: Right click on desktop -> Graphics Properties -> Basic Mode -> Click OK -> Click on Power (left side) -> Select "On Battery" from the drop down next to Power Source on the top right corner ->  Uncheck "Display Power Saving Technology"

See if that fixes it

2 Posts

October 20th, 2011 04:00

No, That isnt fixes it! I bought a NEW DELL L702X and when I turn it on the screen flickering! I called Dell France and they told me to update the drivers, then it was the same, I called a second time, they told me to update the BIOS, but it isnt a new update for the BIOS its A12, then they told me they cant fix it??? 1600E for what? From the first day just problems? How I can fix it?

2 Posts

October 20th, 2011 07:00

First of all, I do not think the screen flickering is caused by a BIOS problem, as I am using an older version than A12.

Second, at first disabling Intel display power saving technology did not work for me either, because I disabled it in Dell battery meter and this has no effect. Be shure to go to the Intel control panel and disable Intel display power saving technology from there, or use a shortcut: in the taskbar, click on 'show hidde icons' and click on the 'Intel HD graphics' icon. Select 'preferences' and disable it from there.

Additionally, if this does not work, either your laptop is DOA, and you should be able to return it without any costs.

Offtopic: why did you pay € 1600 for the machine? I got mine for € 985.

5 Posts

October 20th, 2011 12:00

If you follow my instructions above, it will work unless you have a hardware issue.

As per the prices you paid, that's ridiculous. You both got ripped off. I paid € 763 and I got the i7-2630GM processor, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD (dual 500s). Bluray drive, 1920x1080p Display, backlit keyboard etc etc.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2011 14:00

better processor, better video card, better hard drive, better wifi, tv tuner etc etc :)

5 Posts

October 20th, 2011 16:00

Ah, makes sense :)  I was debating on upgrading the processor myself. I may upgrade it myself if necessary. I do a lot of video processing work on my laptop for a poker company in Spain and it's a pretty heavy load for the cpu. I had a Kingston solid state 120GB drive that I landed out swapping one of my 500GB drives for. I love my SSD. Linux loads in about 8 seconds, it's insane. Windows loads in about 15 or so. How do you like the TV tuner? I'm contemplating whether or not to add it to mine. I was considering using my laptop as an HD DVR. Is that what you use it for?

11 Posts

January 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Folks

Dell Repair just left my house after resolving a flickering display (lcd) on my XPS 17 L702X.

The LCD  SCREEN was the problem as soon as it was replaced the problem (flicker while using battery power) went away.

Previous attempts at resolving the issue were - reload Display Driver and replace the Mother Board (neither of which fixed the problem).

Laptop is only six months old, glad I signed up for the extra warrenty's, if this is any indication I am sure that I will be using them.

BobR995

68 Posts

February 4th, 2012 10:00

This is not a solution.  It's like saying, let more air out of your tires so your windshield doesn't rattle.  It may stop the windshield from rattling but now you're using more gas.

The REAL solution is that Dell should FIX THEIR DRIVERS!

BTW, I tried this and my screen still flickers.  I am using the most current Intel and Nvidia drivers.

11 Posts

February 4th, 2012 12:00

HI

Dell replaced my lcd screen and the flickering while on battery went away. Other repairs (hardware and software) didnt .

11 Posts

February 9th, 2012 07:00

Good to know - If it happens again I will certainly download this driver.

Thanx

Bob

1 Message

February 9th, 2012 07:00

I found the file "Video_Intel_W74_A10_Setup-5NKNH_ZPE.exe" solved this issue. Dell installed it on my laptop remotely and seems to be fine now.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00204438M/6/Video_Intel_W74_A10_Setup-5NKNH_ZPE.exe

8 Posts

March 24th, 2012 21:00

Any updates?  Mine 1st and second one from dell have the same issue.  They replaced the screen on the 1st computer also.  Drivers (old and new) from Dell, intel, and Nvidia, have no effect and neither does power plans.  The only fix is plugging it in to AC power.

January 12th, 2013 19:00

I had this exact same problem and tried the power managment solution but didn't work. Luckily I had a dual boot system and checked the driver on the system which did not have this issue and saw that the driver was different for the intel graphic card I updated the driver to the dell Intel graphics driver 8.15.10.2455. Problem solved.

January 12th, 2013 20:00

This did not work for me, try my solution below worked like a charm.

No Events found!