Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 09:00

No screen after resume from Sleep, XPS 12 9Q33

Just revived my new XPS 12 Haswell system on Saturday. Noticed a problem when the system went to sleep. After I try to turn on the system only the backlight keys come on and a steady on light on the power switch, no screen. The laptop will not show a display after it resumes from sleep. So in regular use I am unable to use the power switch to put the system down or close the lid. I loose anything I am working on because I have to hold the power switch to do a cold boot.

I thought maybe I did something funky in the settings without noticing. So since I just got the machine I did the full restore, wipe and re-install option provided at boot. System did a wipe and re-installed windows. Same behavior :/

Is anyone else having this issue....

My best,

David

7 Posts

August 5th, 2013 14:00

Think I have a problem with the A02 update. After I flashed the bios now the Rapid Start Technology setting in the BIOS is disabled, grayed out so not configurable. It used to toggle between enabled and disabled. Is this how the BIOS should behave now?

7 Posts

August 5th, 2013 15:00

Think I have a problem with the A02 update. After I flashed the bios now the Rapid Start Technology setting in the BIOS is disabled, grayed out so not configurable. It used to toggle between enabled and disabled. Is this how the BIOS should behave now?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 5th, 2013 16:00

vac59,  do you have the IRST software installed on your system?

Are any others noticing that IRST is greyed out in the BIOS after updating to A02?

TB

August 5th, 2013 18:00

Hi. I have a similar but subtly different issue. It is not greyed out, but if I change it, it reverts to disabled. Again, this may be the intention ie to ensure that the IRST is hard disabled pending a further BIOS update!

For Dell's reference I'm giving the entire sequence here as there were some hiccups en route.

1. Flushed BIOS (IRST software was installed and running, but I had disabled IRST in the A01 BIOS)

2. Rebooted ... I got an error to say that my power supply was incompatible and couldn't be detected etc

3. Tried rebooting a few times, and got the same error

4. Also noticed that while not greyed out, whenever I changed the BIOS setting of the IRST it didn't save it, but simply went back to disabled (I also got the IRST not enabled message reported earlier)

5. Noticed an error.log file that said "Error 8772: Invalid usage, -allowsv switch required to update the same version firmware"

6. Flushed BIOS a second time

7. It fixed the power supply error message

8. BUT I still cannot change the BIOS setting for the IRST ... it is not greyed out in the BIOS, but if I change it, or restore to defaults etc, it does not survive the reboot as a BIOS entry

9. I CAN change other BIOS variables okay

7 Posts

August 6th, 2013 12:00

I do have the irst application installed. Was waiting for a proper workaround and thanks Dell for the fast turnaround on the bios update. But I think in disabling by the bios, it broke irst in a way. The application used to launch when the bios setting was disabled, just not configurable in the application settings. After general use I started to notice the popup

saying irst is disabled and the irst applications will not launch. I didn't check if the irst bios setting was grayed out prior to the A02 update. I noticed the bios setting when trying enable irst again. There is the help tip in the bios, F1 help, that says the three status changes where irst will be disabled by the bios. But I think I did not intentionally meet those changes like removing the 8gb partition.

I hope the solution is not format and wipe to get IRST back and functional, that would a be a bridge to far.

7 Posts

August 6th, 2013 13:00

The only SATA Operation option is AHCI

3 Posts

I installed the new bios (A02), (turned off irst with the software since it was causing the no wake from sleep issue) I re turned on irst with the software. rebooted. put the computer to sleep, tried to bring it out of sleep, no luck. same problem

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

vac59 and the_rev_again

In the bios after updating to A02, under the advanced tab, what is the settings for SATA operation do you have more than one option (AHCI)?

TB

807 Posts

August 6th, 2013 18:00

What OS are you all using? If Windows 8....try disabling Fast Boot.

August 6th, 2013 18:00

The same applies to me .. the only SATA operation option is AHCI.

August 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi Terry B ... wondered if you have other suggestions. A Dell engineer is coming on Monday for something unrelated ... are there any diagnostics etc that they can do that would be helpful?

Thanks.

TRA

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 9th, 2013 16:00

I have been checking with engineering.  It could well be that after flashing to A02 IRST is meant to be disabled.  This is further implied that the only option for SATA Options is AHCI.

I hope to have information verifying this or not at the start of next week.

TB

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2013 18:00

How happy I am to find I'm not alone :)

I'm now going to try the BIOS upgrade (had to actually open the "My Dell" application to be alerted for it) and we'll report shortly if it fixed it or not

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2013 06:00

the bios update fixed my issue, thanks guys :)

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

Same here!

No Events found!