Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2015 02:00

Notebook choice

Hi everyone,

I know that my post sounds a little bit strange but I'm confused with the information so far. So, what is the problem. I decided to buy a new notebook because my Inspiron 15 is already 6 years old. From what I see Inspiron and Latitude should do the job but when I spoke with Dell Support, they said that in general Latitude and Inspiron don't support virtual machines and I'd like to install some software like VirtualBox, VMPlayer or VMworkstation when I want to test something.

In general I would like to have:

CPU: i5 or i7

RAM: 8 GB (with option to upgrade to 16 GB)

HDD: 256 SSD or standard 500 GB (the price of SSD drives is now not so expensive)

Video: I think Nvidia 830 with 2 GB is enough

Resolution: 1920x1080

Why I'm writing this. The problem is that when I used the Dell to customize model there is no option to see how many ports are available for the RAM but in some online shops most of Latitude models are shown only with 1 slot. Also one of the problem is that I am in Germany and when I use Dell.de, I could select only Windows in German which I don't want to use. And of course the support for virtualization. I don't want to be in situation to have a proper CPU but the mainboard not to support it or opposite.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

P.S.

And guys, a price up to 1200-1300 Euro should be sufficient :)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2015 05:00

Most systems now support a minimum of 16 G of RAM with two memory modules.  The exceptions are the very slim and light ultrabooks - in these, the RAM is usually soldered in and not upgradeable.

You're probably better off looking at XPS or Latitude minimum - or Precision workstation if the budget will stretch that far.  Once you hit the Precision line, there models that will support four memory sockets -- essentially none of the Inspiron, XPS, or Latitude models will support more than two modules.

Most Intel CPUs at the i5 or i7 level support virtualization - however, they may not support all possible virtualization modes, so buy carefully.  Once you buy a new system, in over 95% of models, the CPU is no longer upgradeable later on.

September 30th, 2015 07:00

Hello

Personally, I would go with a Precision M6800 that has a 17.3 " Display:

You can "customize" it to meet your needs.

Go to dell .com and enter in the search box: Precision M6800.

There are always pre-built versions. You want to pick the system that states "Customize and buy."

From there you are off and running to add/change several options, multiple SSD's, huge memory, excellent graphics cards, etcetera.

However, you will spend upwards of $7,000 but you will have Dell's best laptop that will last a very long time so the price of the system is cost efficient.

Moreover, there is a separate division of Tech Support that is dedicated to the Precision Laptop and Precision Workstations. They do not support any other models.

Highly recommended is to choose 5 year Pro Support with NBD onsite service.

For some reason there is no "Complete Care" selection which is vital so you may want to call Dell and inquire. Moreover, you can ask if the M6800 will support virtualization.

In closing, "you get what you pay for."

Mark

September 30th, 2015 12:00

One of the problem is with the Latitude 14 inch because in a lot of shops here in Germany in the description I could see only 1 available socket. And I already saw in web that some people with Inspiron for example had a problem with virtual software and from my experience a CPU is not enough if your MB doesn't support virtual modes.

September 30th, 2015 12:00

I agree with you "you get what you pay for" but for 7 000 USD I will get small home server T series with 32 GB RAM, Xeon and I will run esxi on it + 2 27inch Monitors + Latitude notebook :) I know Precision series but I think they are more suitable for developers and using heavy applications also from my pov they are a little too big for a notebook.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2015 18:00

These have two memory sockets but are hybrid systems - they're designed for small business and are effectively the old Vostro  series --- Inspirons with different color schemes.

They're not designed for what you want to do. 

October 2nd, 2015 00:00

hi,

so as I understand it is better to buy a Inspiron 15 instead of Latitude 14, right?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 05:00

Not at all - since this application likely has a business purpose, I'd suggest the E5450 or E5550.  The level of build and support is well beyond any of the consumer-grade models (Inspiron, XPS, etc.).

No Events found!