Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2016 13:00

Original Dell AC adapter no longer charges (a new, Dell) battery

A Dell customer service advisor recently suggested I buy a new battery to fix a problem with my battery not being recognised at system startup nor charging when the adapter is plugged in.

Despite my AC adapter being the original adapter that shipped with my computer, the new battery still fails to charge. I receive a message informing me that the AC adapter type cannot be recognised (quickset). Furthermore, in what can only be described as an outrageous step, this message informs me that Dell will throttle my machine ("your computer will run more slowly") and then battery will not charge.

Clearly there is an error in the adapter hardware (most likely related to the well known one wire technique for battery verification)  meaning it cannot be recognised by the computer. I was therefore incorrectly informed to buy a new battery that neither solves the problem nor is of any use as it cannot be charged. Is this how Dell treats their customers?

I propose two solutions which Dell could offer me:

1. Send me a new, working 150W adapter compatible with my XPS 17 as a gesture of goodwill following the incorrect sale of a new battery at great expense which failed to solve the problem.

2. Provide a way to circumvent the faulty charger verification process. This is crucial for two reasons. Firstly the adapter is the original adapter that came with my computer so to verify its authenticity is not necessary. Secondly, Dell has zero right (non, whatsoever) to force consumers to use certain products through an invasive procedure that slows down a computer for which I have already paid. If Dell will not provide a work around to overcome the 20% throttling of my computer, then I will demand a 20% refund on the original value of my computer, as I am no longer receiving the power that I paid for.

I look forward to hearing from Dell regarding this matter, and from other users in the community who might have suggestions as to how to proceed to overcome this problem or engage Dell in finding a solution for customers.

No Responses!
No Events found!