Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 07:00

PC not recognizing AC adapter although it is working well.

Every time I turn on my Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop, I get the following message:

"The AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or greater for the best system performance."

I don't know why I am getting this message since:

- I am using the 65W Dell AC adapter that came with the laptop
- The adapter is charging the battery properly
- The green light on the adapter stays on all the time when in use
- The port connection is fine

So, other than this annoying error message, everything seems to be working fine.

Should I just ignore it ?  If not, what else do you recommend I do ?

1 Message

July 27th, 2013 09:00

Hi Roshan.  I've updated my BIOS to A10 for Inspiron 1420 and at F2 System, Device Info/AC Adapter still shows "Unknown Device Installed".  I notice there are other BIOS updates, e.g., A07, A08, etc.  Do I have to install all previous updates before installing A10?

Thank you.

1 Message

September 4th, 2013 07:00

I did this and the Adapter was "unknown"

January 4th, 2014 10:00

I have had this problem with my last two Dell laptops and I tried everything, but no luck.  I recently found a simple solution that worked with my Inspiron 1440.  The adapter has a driver that is called "Microsoft AC Adapter" which can be found in the Device Manager under the Control Panel.  The driver may be corrupted, so try uninstalling the driver, then restart the computer.  Next, re-install the driver by clicking on  "Windows Update" on the Start menu.  The computer will realize that you are missing the driver and download the most recent version.  So far, this seems to have fixed the problem and it cost me nothing.  With all respect to Dell, they are in things to make money and will not usually suggest the cost-free solution.  I once paid over $200.00 for the Dell tech people to tell me that I needed to hit the f2 key to reboot the wireless connection.  Good luck and I hope this is helpful!

18 Posts

January 4th, 2014 17:00

I have had this problem with my last two Dell laptops... "Microsoft AC Adapter" ... in the Device Manager ... may be corrupted, so ... re-install the driver...  

First, I hope you really found a solution. I have several "solutions" that occasionally (maybe once) have worked. Restarting in safe mode being one and disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter in rear of laptop are two.

But you've had the SAME problem with two different laptops? Same model? What timeframe? I'm disillusioned about my own very intermittent "invisible adapter" problem. Happened within 2 weeks of purchase. Dell wanted to replace mobo with refurbished one. NO THANKS. Wouldn't send new laptop. 

We aren't the only two with the problem. Not everyone is vocal about their pc problems. I wonder how far-reaching the problem is. It is obviously not a rare thing. Just Google. As far back as 2006. There are as many "solutions" as complaints, times about 10, since everybody has their own "solution" to add to any given thread.

The solution is probably to quit buying Dell.

Was a time they had quality hardware, software, and tech support.

That time hasn't existed for quite awhile.

Very disappointing.

One suggestion, though, Dell: quit selling proprietary hardware--adapters, batteries, ink, etc. The adapter interface is a joke. No wonder it's such a source of problems. It is far from a solid method of connection.

I don't know who DOESN'T put out <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU>; these days, it's rare for companies to care about anything but bottom line, and cutting every conceivable corner is one way to bolster bottom line.

Until the serfs revolt and quit buying your <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU>.

Vive la resistance.

I'm t'r'u' wit' Dell.

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 08:00

I ended up getting an aftermarket 130w charger for my Dell Precision M6300.  I'm experiencing the not charging the battery phenomenon.  I also purchased a replacement battery.

This does seem to be mostly related to the BIOS checking for something Dell specific in the charger, not about electronics.  Its really an outrage.  

Is there a workaround to enable the battery to charge?  Any change in the BIOS that would work?  This is a 5 year old machine and I'm trying to keep it alive without a huge investment.

18 Posts

June 9th, 2014 09:00

I finally have decided that, at least in my situation, there's nothing in BIOS and nothing that safe mode can do to cause or solve the problem. Nor can any Windows after-hours interrrupted upgrade cause the no-adapter problem. Those were red herrings--mere coincidences--I now believe. 

I believe that the problem is the very bad design of the adapter port and adapter cord connection to the laptop. There's far too much play when the adapter is plugged into the laptop. I imagine that this play lets the internal mount that the pin is attached to flex, interrupting recognition of the adapter, eventually resulting in a break internally and need for new motherboard or luck at soldering. 

I've been lucky, I guess. I still haven't flexed the pin enough to break the connection. I've had the "no adapter" message a few times since my profane ( <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>) posting in January. The only fix for each instance: unplug and replug the connector--without wiggling. One time, it took a lot of unplugging and replugging. Hey, I'm backed up securely. Let it fail.

One thing I've done to try to help: attach velcro to the side, top, and back of the laptop and then attach the velcro strip on the power cord to whichever one of those will most likely prevent disconnection if the laptop's on my lap and I shift a little bit. 

It's still an outrage, though, since the situation has been going on for many years. And I will state again: this began a week after receiving the laptop and Dell wanted to replace the mobo with a refurbished one instead of sending a new one. An outrage.

4 Posts

October 19th, 2014 10:00

I have the same problem with an Inspiron 14r 5421. The battery Info says "Unknown". Two weeks ago I received the message and I updated the BIOS. It worked. But now I have the problem again. PLease help me! Thanks!

18 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 12:00

A few days ago, I sat next to a girl at Barnes and Noble who had an Inspiron N7110 that was a year younger than mine (2010). She reports same problems. What always works for me (so far) is to go into setup (f2) and unplug the adapter and plug it back in (repeat as needed) until bios recognizes it.

I’ve been told that it’s hardware related and that sooner or later a soldering iron (or possibly a tire iron) may be necessary. So far so good. 

It stinks hat Dell won’t do better. This has really soured me. I’ve bought nothing but Dell for almost 20 years, but I might not buy another.

Dave Slomer

P.S. However, I’ve dropped mine from two plus feet onto hard surfaces twice now and I get to drop it a third time, so … bad with good? I merely slammed lid (and not overly angrily; just a little) on a school-provided Acer and it died.

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 16:00

I tried what you said but still, BIOS does not recognizes AC adapter so the battery is not charging. This is a new laptop and the time I wasted in trying to find a solution is priceless. Dell techs, give me please a solution !

1 Message

November 30th, 2014 08:00

Dear,

As you would have noted had you bothered to even read the thread, is that the laptop warns the OP before windows even starts, so there is 0 (see: none whatsover{See: Completely impossible[see: It's not windows you moron]}) chance of it being a driver related issue. FURTHERMORE, DELL doesn't roll out updates. The fact that you need to leave your battery at 10% tell us all that it's quite obviously your BATTERY that's messed up, not the computer. The fact your laptop won't stay RUNNING WHILE PLUGGED IN tells the rest of us that aren't complete idiots that there is something ACTUALLY WRONG WITH YOUR LAPTOP.

NOBODY LISTEN TO THIS IDIOT, HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. ACTUALLY FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR HARDWARE, DON'T JUST ASSUME IT'S SOFTWARE RELATED BECAUSE YOU CAN SOMETIMES GET IT TO CHARGE.

1 Message

January 7th, 2015 21:00

I am in a similar situation with the PC not recognising the 65W adapter. I even purchased a new adapter. to no avail. I have downloaded N5110 bios updates but cannot install  as the battery is only 3% - I need 10%.

How do I charge the battery to 10%?

18 Posts

January 8th, 2015 03:00

FIrst, I wish I knew what to tell jafes and everybody else. But I doubt a BIOS update will solve anybody's problem. It didn't solve mine. Nor did a new battery, which I finally had to buy. Now I have a new intermittent problem: Plugged in, not charging. Happens once every week or so. Powering down and removing AC adapter usually fixes it. 

So in BOTH of MY situations wiggling/reinsering the AC adapter plug seems to be my four-years-running successful solution. That does seem to indicate that the problem is in the motherboard, as suggested in many other threads. I don't know if I've ever seen a thread in which replacing the AC adapter or upgrading BIOS solved the problem. 

But a new motherboard? Guess what? If it's from Dell, THERE'S NO GUARANTEE IT'S GONNA WORK FOR LONG EITHER. My week-old laptop presented this problem, that's how long one might last before this common problem rears its head. (I am SO thankful to be lucky enough that it's just a huge pain that goes away within a few (or more) minutes of anxious fiddling.)

One thread somewhere advised taking a soldering iron to the motherboard. Good luck with that. 

Good luck, whatever.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2015 22:00

Hi, I had problems with my AC Adaptor 65w for a Dell Inspiron 5421, battery is not charging. So I changed the ac adaptor with an old one of 85w. It works and battery charges but suddenly the computer shuts down, is randomly, I don't know what to do. I just bought a new ac adaptor of 90w. Thanks for your help!

2 Posts

February 11th, 2015 13:00

My Dell inspiron 5010 has also stopped charging the battery; ac adaptor works and when i click F2 adapter is showing as 'unknown'; how can I change this in Bios?

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 18:00

the same   problem  is  here  now so what should  i do now?

No Events found!