Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

February 10th, 2007 22:00

PCMCIA slot inop after clean install of XP Pro

Hello everyone,
I did a clean XP Pro install on a Dell Inspiron 1150.  I have reinstalled what I consider to be the minimum amount of drivers.  Everything works but the card slot.  The PCMCIA driver shows installed a operating normally. When I put in my Linksys wireless card,  the system does not recognize any thing.  I tried the card in another laptop and it is recognized and installed normally. What driver could I be missing other than the TI PCI-1510 Cardbus controller.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have tried unistalling the pcmcia cardbus driver to no avail. 
Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2007 23:00

You need to have install the chipset driver and the Dell notebook system software at minimum, and preferably before you loaded other drivers (video, audio, etc.)

6 Posts

February 11th, 2007 01:00

I did install the drivers you refered to, but I mistakenly added the audio and video drivers before the chipset.  Do you think I can uninstall all the drivers, then reinstall the chipset and dell notebook software first, or do I need to do another clean install?  Thank you

6 Posts

February 13th, 2007 02:00

1. Booted in safe mode.
  2. Uninstalled any unrecognized or unknown drivers
  3. Went to intel's website and ran their chipset identification utility
  4. Installed the chipset driver form Intel's site
  5. Viola, PCMCIA slot working
  6. Inserted Linksys card but still inop
  7. Went to Linksys site and downloaded new driver package
  8. This time when the New Hardware Manger opened, I navigated to the folder containing the new driver for the wireless card and let it find the proper drivers. Viola, wireless card works like a champ.

In closing, I feel the reinstall of the chipset drivers cured the PCMCIA problem.  I did have another issue with the wireless card.  It was being recognized as an "Unknown Network Controller". Until I got that driver out of the device manager, I could not get the New Hardware Wizard to look for the correct driver.

October 3rd, 2010 17:00

1. Booted in safe mode.
  2. Uninstalled any unrecognized or unknown drivers
  3. Went to intel's website and ran their chipset identification utility
  4. Installed the chipset driver form Intel's site
  5. Viola, PCMCIA slot working
  6. Inserted Linksys card but still inop
  7. Went to Linksys site and downloaded new driver package
  8. This time when the New Hardware Manger opened, I navigated to the folder containing the new driver for the wireless card and let it find the proper drivers. Viola, wireless card works like a champ.

In closing, I feel the reinstall of the chipset drivers cured the PCMCIA problem.  I did have another issue with the wireless card.  It was being recognized as an "Unknown Network Controller". Until I got that driver out of the device manager, I could not get the New Hardware Wizard to look for the correct driver.

Wonderful answer, I just start to learn it, I learned a lot from what you said.
No Events found!