Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

2 Posts

November 21st, 2003 14:00

PCMCIA slot not working

Can anybody help? I have an Inspiron 1100, the internal modem has stopped working due to a power surge during a storm, but I wasn't worried as I already had working in another laptop a Dynalink 1456CS 56kbps fax/modem. I installed this into the PCMCIA slot in my Inspiron. It appeared to be loading it, but when it had finished the message was that the installation had failed. The card appeared to be there, but just wouldn't work. I removed it (correctly) and tried again after rebooting. I still had the same problem. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2003 20:00

@HellsBells wrote:

Can anybody help? I have an Inspiron 1100, the internal modem has stopped working due to a power surge during a storm, but I wasn't worried as I already had working in another laptop a Dynalink 1456CS 56kbps fax/modem. I installed this into the PCMCIA slot in my Inspiron. It appeared to be loading it, but when it had finished the message was that the installation had failed. The card appeared to be there, but just wouldn't work. I removed it (correctly) and tried again after rebooting. I still had the same problem. Any suggestions?

ISA 16 bit non cardbus modems need ISA to PCI IRQ routing turned on. You may also need to disable some onboard resources to free up an IRQ.

Enable ISA IRQ Routing.

Then plug in the card and Detect it etc.

Win2000 SP1 AND XP SP1 etc and up DISABLE ISA IRQ

This makes it so the card WILL NOT WORK.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279491
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327947

This symptom may occur with the Dell 1150 or
Lucent/Orinoco 802.1x wireless network adapter.
After you install this adapter, the network appears to be
available and the signal strength remains the same.
However, the network is unavailable, and
the network connection icon has a red "X" over it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters]
"SoundsEnabled"=dword:00000001
"IsaIrqRescanComplete"=dword:00000000
"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327947

16-Bit PC Card Devices Do Not Work After You Install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP3

This article was previously published under Q327947

November 22nd, 2003 07:00

Have tried changing the registry, but it stil doesn't work. I'm still getting the message "There was a problem installing this device" "This device cannot start (Code 10)". Any suggestions on what I could try next?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 26th, 2003 09:00

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=125174

IRQ conflicts or Driver Incompatability. Try upper and lower slots.

Boot Safe mode and have it show all devices.  Remove all instances of the device. Then re-install the driver.  Disable onboard serial and parallel ports to free up IRQ's.

Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

No Events found!