Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2017 11:00

Performance Issues on new XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ)

Hello Dell,

I'm having performance issues on my new Dell laptop that i bought about a month ago (Dell XPS 15 9550 3.5 i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD PCIe, 4K UHD Touch Display).

I'm using it to run software like Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator and more.

While the CPU using only up to 10% of its power, the RAM is getting to 10GB of 16 and i get a lot of lagging with the mouse movement and the computer runs very slow (opening windows explorer etc..).

I have also ran a full hardware inspection with the dell website and everything came out good.

Can you please advice me what to do and who to talk to if needed?

I bought the computer online and i find the computer unsatisfying for it's specifications.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 11th, 2017 09:00

The combination of the 4K screen and hybrid video systems is what's doing you in.  Such a setup will be fine to run those applications at FHD - at 4K, the GPU is underpowered for the application.

You need a true, dedicated high-end GPU to run these at 4K resolution - such as you'll find in a Precision mobile workstation, but not in a consumer-level Inspiron or XPS system.

1 Message

March 11th, 2017 13:00

I have the same issue and I'm only using chrome

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 11th, 2017 18:00

I don't have any experience with performance regarding a 4K system, but it does probably take more power.

But you will need to track down what might be going on.  Knowing what the CPU utilization is helps, but what speed it is running at that time is important.

If the system has dual GPUs, which one is set to run that application?

If you have a PCIe drive, is it running in PCIe configuration?  Some testing seems to make me think those drives perform better as SATA unless they have a special driver.  To find out the configuration and see if the Storage Controllers in Device Manager is Showing SATA RAID or NVMe.

How much free space is on the drive?

If the Memory usage goes up, where it is being used?  There is a graph in the Resource Monitor which lets you know.  If the system is having to use Virtual memory instead of actually memory it would slow down and cause more drive activity..

I put a Samsung 960 Pro on my system and the write speeds increased by about 50%.  The read speeds only increased by 10% but both were more consistent.  I saw this in a benchmark I ran but I am not really an experienced benchmarker.

No Events found!