Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2015 06:00

Poll: XPS 13 2015 Fan noise when plugged in - Are you affected?

Just wondering how many of you are experiencing the extreme fan noise syndrome on your XPS 13 2015 laptops? This is when its plugged into the ac adapter. Please mention your model touchscreen vs 1080p models and the bios version installed.

+1

i5 8gb/256 QHD touchscreen Signature Edition from Microsoft Store

Thanks

23 Posts

March 21st, 2015 09:00

I'm taking mine back for a replacement this afternoon. Not optimistic that getting a new one will be any better. Think this is an issue affecting the whole line. For good measure I've been monitoring the system temps while on the charger cpu and motherboard temps are lower by like 15 degrees compared to hot temps on battery and no noise.

March 21st, 2015 09:00

I too have the same issue with new XPS 13 2015 model. I brought it from microsoft store on 2/13. I updated it to latest BIOS. Just to rule out things I restored the system to factory default. Here is what happens, when I am using system on battery the system works fine  fan is quite. Once I plug in AC adapter after couple of minutes the fan starts with loud noise and never stops. I am not even doing any thing on system , not even a browser window is open. I also checked Task Manger for CPU usage and other parameters. I don't see any thing running which stresses the CPU and GPU . As this is Microsoft signature edition it doesn't have any bloatware. One I unplug the AC adapter after couple of minutes things are normal and annoying fan noise is gone. After trying everything I called DELL technical support and they wanted to try couple of things with no help. DELL wanted to replace Mother Board/Fan or offered replacement system. I am not sure if this issue is specific to few systems, or others not noticing it or fan noise doesn't bother them.  Feed back is really appreciated.

My system specs

Dell XPS 13 9343-6364SLV Core i5 8GB/256GB QHD Signature Edition Laptop

March 21st, 2015 11:00

I am also thinking the same. Please let me know how it goes with the replacement system. I will monitor the CPU and Motherboard temps battery vs ac adaptor on mine and compare. I am not sure if this issue affecting the whole line or to specific systems. Your feed back on replacement system will be really appreciated and helpful.

74 Posts

March 21st, 2015 13:00

Dell have abysmal thermal and fan control on a lot of ther notebooks. There's a lot of threads complaining about the fan running for way too long or never shutting down on this forum.

See this thread for example, it's documented quite well: en.community.dell.com/.../19593697

Now if you ask me why they release notebooks with such poor thermal and fan control... I don't know?

23 Posts

March 21st, 2015 13:00

well I went to the Microsoft store and tried to show them the fan noise issue but it was either so noisy in there and or the notebook decided to stay quiet this time making look like I was imagining it, but I exchanged it in any case and will be going step by step to narrow down what the issue was.

23 Posts

March 21st, 2015 15:00

Looks like this issue persists even on the replacement though it is not as bad as the last one. Only thing is the download center no longer has the bios files posted. weird.

23 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 10:00

I would recommend you install the Dell Command Power Manager on bios A00, set the fan profile to quiet, and then upgrade the bios. You can find the power manager on the Dell support page when you enter your service tag. Note the Dell Support download portal is screwed up and won't show you all available downloads at once. So you need to initiate a few downloads and others will eventually show up. May be a browser issue. Not sure. As far as finding A00 I found it after a Google search. It would be nice if it was available on the download page. Good luck!

23 Posts

Well I took it back to the MS store for a replacement and the new one started revving up the fan when plugged in again but not as bad but still bad enough. So I installed all the chipset drivers from dells support site for my system tag including video, MEI, audio, trackpad, and wifi. Ran the Command Power Manager and as soon as I clicked 'Quiet' the fan sound died down instantly. Then I installed the A01 bios update and noticed after that the xps 13 was barely making any noise and if it did it didn't last longer than a minute. The Power Manager however seemed pretty unresponsive. Changing modes I couldn't tell the difference between 'Balanced', 'Performance', or 'Quiet'. I can only conclude that the A01 bios changes something such that the Power Manager no longer works but the last setting prior to the bios update is still there ie Quiet in my case. The only thing is if I use it in bed the laptop doesn't cool very effectively and gets hot. Internet Explorer even locked up and needed to be restarted but not sure if that was related to the cpu heating up to 66-68 degrees or not. I read the max operating temp for the 5200u is 105 degrees and can hit 80-89 degrees while benching. Have not tried A02 yet. Happy its quiet at last though. Hope A02 doesn't undo all that hard work.

How is your replacement system. Did you do any further testing. what about about the fan noise. As I purchased mine online from MS store I need to request for replacement and send mine back for replacement or I can return it. I am just waiting for feedback. If your replacement system is any better.

As you mentioned there was no fan noise when you took it to MS store. when you are out side you will not hear fan noise much. I was in Starbucks this morning and my charger was plugged in and fan was running continuously but I could not hear it or it bothered me because  of ambience noise.

I did pretty much everything you did my current bios version is A01. But still have the issue with fan noise. You mentioned you ran Command Power Manager.  This is the only thing I did not try. Where can I find the option for setting 'Quiet'.  Do I need to install Command Power Manager? 

1 Message

August 28th, 2015 21:00

I'm also a victim of this fan noise issue. I purchased my XPS 13 (touch screen- Core i7) last week. A dell onsite technician came and replaced the fan and the heat-sink. The problem has not solved though. Thinking of returning the product back to Dell next week. This seems to be a manufacturing defect.

1 Message

September 17th, 2015 19:00

I am also experiencing the same fan noise issue with my XPS 13 9343 Ubuntu Developer Edition.

1 Message

July 4th, 2017 01:00

Mine is 15" DELL XPS L521X. CPU fan is so loud and when connecting to external dual screen through thunderbolt and HDMI. I've updated the BIOS but still the problem persist. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks!

No Events found!