Denisemac
1 Copper

Re: Power Adapter Error message & Battery Not charging!

I had the same problem with my Inspiron 1525. As you suggested I re-booted using the battery, and it is working fine now. Many thanks for your suggestion.

0 Kudos
mrjlal
1 Copper

Same experience with my 1525 -- re-booted on the 6% power left on my battery, and it started charging.  But then it stopped again.  I played with taking the power supply in and out, applying a little pressure in different directons.  Sometimes I can get it to say "charging" but then it goes back to "not charging/"

0 Kudos
ElectricEric
1 Nickel

After much research I have solved this problem. The reason that the AC Adaptor will power the laptop but won't charge the battery is that in the AC Adaptor puts out a signal from the adaptor to the laptop charging circuit that lets the laptop identify the adaptor and turns on the charging circuit. When you look at the adaptor plug that connects to the laptop, there is 1. an outer shield DC-, 2. an inner shield DC+, and 3. the inner pin in the middle of the plug. The signal that comes from the AC adaptor goes thru this pin to the laptop.

Here is the answer. The problem is the wire inside  the cable has been broken off the connection to the center pin. The FIX is either:

1. buy a new AC ada[ptor,

2. Cutoff the connector, remove all the rubber from the connector, trim back and remove the covering from the end of the cable, (where the connector was cut off) then resolder the little wire back to the center pin, then reconnect the existing + and - connections from the cable to the connector. Observe good soldering of the wires connected back as not to melt the insulation of any of the wires. When finished use meter to check for shorts before you reconnect power. Also if you have any Heat shrink tubing apply it over everything you just soldered. Otherwise use Electrical tape. BE CAREFUL AND DON'T WORK ON THE ADAPTOR WITH AC POWER ON. AND DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE POLARITY OF THE +++PLUS+++  AND ---MINUS--- WIRES. 

3. Go on EBAY an find a new cable that goes between the adaptor and laptop and replace it.

After I fixed the wire and connector the battery charged to 100% and its as good as new and didn't cost me anything and I am happy. Good Luck, Eric  

0 Kudos
jakora
1 Nickel

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the very valuable points that will help a lot of people to address / resolve this issue on their own. If there are pictorial illustrations you can attach (not sure if this forum allows that though) that will add even more clarity.

I have adapters failing every 4-6 months...I have so far bought 6 adapters!! Now to avoid nick of the moment problems, I have two adapters - one for home, and one for office! Thanks again.

- Raj

0 Kudos
Tildou
1 Copper

I am having the same problem. I have noticed that the little wire that was inside the whole in which one puts the power adapter is no longer in place. I suspect it was driven into the computer itself. Is there anything I can do about it? Thanks for you help!

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

You will need a new power supply. If the signal wire has broken off and still in the DC socket on the computer, it must be removed before using the new power supply.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
trilokization
1 Copper

Hi, I HAD/HAVE the same problem....My charger wouldn't be detected and an ALERT BOX would appear saying "AC Power adaptor not detected". But thanks to you, as someone mention here, i plugged in the power plug forcefully, and surprisingly it worked! I mean then ,the charger was plugged in, charging from plugged in, not charging. Thanks a lot....Although I do have to get a new charger eventually...What the DELL huh!

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

If you keep forcing the plug into the jack, you will turn a  $35 adapter replacement into a $100+ mainboard repair or a $300+ replacement.

0 Kudos
ElectricEric
1 Nickel

Buy a rockfish ac adaptor and all the problems go away

ebmargit
1 Nickel

My original adapter failed within six months of buying my new Inspiron 15 in 2009.  Unimpressed with Dell's quality, I bought a replacement adapter from another company, which worked fine for another 6 months.  Then, I got this message... so I forked over the cash  for a genuine Dell adapter from Dell's web site.

Now, I'm getting this message again, with my genuine Dell adapter.  My computer doesn't travel much at this point, so I have a hard time believing it's wear and tear... and now I live in the UK, so have absolutely no idea where I can go for help.  And, I basically know nothing about how to deal with computer issues on my own.  I would really like to be able to use my battery, but obviously can't.  Does anyone know where I can go for help?  The last thing I want to do is sit on the phone for an hour long-distance with Dell's non-helpful people and pay through the nose for their 'services.'

0 Kudos