Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Precision M4700 - additional memory slots & 32gb

I have a Precision M4700 which has been working fine with 2 x 8gb PC3 12800 (Dell SNP8H68RC/8G).

Just added 2 more of the same memory units into the additional memory slots under the keyboard (to bring it up to 32gb) and it won't boot.  Powers on, but no fan and screen black.

It's a core i7 quad core and there was no sticker in the additional memory bay stating that the slots should not be used.  When running at 16gb the BIOS reports slots C and D as available but empty.

Tried loading the BIOS back to defaults and running diagnostics (at 16gb) but makes no difference.  I have tested the two new memory units in the primary slots and they work fine.

Any ideas?  Is the motherboard faulty?

Mark.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

June 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi Mark,

Please remove the system memory and connect the new memory modules in the first two slots and check if the memory is getting detected in the BIOS.

Also interchange the memory modules, connect the new memory sticks to the first two slots and the memory shipped with Dell in the 3rd and 4th slot and check.

Revert with the status.

3 Posts

August 9th, 2013 17:00

Hi all, I have exactly the same issue. Slots A and B work fine with any combination of original and new memory (even mixed) The moment I try to use slots C and D the laptop sounds like its booting but there is nothing on screen Can you assist???

807 Posts

August 9th, 2013 18:00

You might struggle with the speed of that RAM in 32GB configuration. Dell recommend DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz) CL9 1.35V 

I've only seen RAM speeds of PC3-12800 1600MHz / PC3-14900 1866MHz in 16GB (2 x 8GB) configurations.

Even some of the Quad Cores were known to have "no memory" plastic pieces in the extra memory slots under the keyboard. Some users report installing the extra modules anyway, but some report problems with the display afterwards.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2013 07:00

Ah! so I did remove the aforementioned plastic piece with a 'no memory' icon embossed on it.

Does that mean i will never be able to use slots C and D?? Seems a bit of a waste. Why even have the spare slots if they cannot be utilised????

Well I have doubled the original memory so I suppose that will have to do now.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2013 14:00

I bought my M4700 specifically because I needed a operational 32gb laptop. Now that I have bought memory (2 x 8gb) that's guaranteed by Crucial to work with the Dell M4700, I am finding the same problem as you. Replacing the slots A and B memory with the new memory works. But with all 4 slots populated by all four of the 8Gb sodimms, causes the machine to hang with a blank screen.

If I don't find a solution, the laptop is not fit for purpose and I'll be asking Dell for a refund or swap. Given the choice, I'd rather get a light weight laptop, the only reason why I bought this heavy weight was for its 32gb capabilities. This is very annoying. It seems to be a common failure, even though most buyer wont use the 32gb capabilities of the laptop. We are a small bunch of people, but we are customers never the less.

It would be good to know if there is a fix for this?

3 Posts

September 18th, 2013 11:00

So I was never able to resolve this. My RAM was crucial guaranteed too.

I kinda got the feeling from Dell's response that this model did not support the use of the extra slots.

Surprised me!

Why have the slots available if you can't use them.

I have seen an obvious improvement  jumping from 8 to 16 gig but it would have been nice not to waste the original 2x4gb sticks!

2 Posts

September 18th, 2013 14:00

I found the solution, but its not one I like. If you buy the wrong type of i7 processor, ie, non quad core, the additional two slots are redundant. Dell refuse to exchange or swap my purchase, stating that i could have contacted them to clarify my requirement to use 32gb. Their web site implies 32gb capability for the m4700, there may be some small print which says its 32gb for quad core only, but youd have to go through with a fine toothed comb to find it. I am not going to buy Dell anymore, if feel i have been ripped off, to add to this i bought a 16gb machine and now i have a spare 16gb just sitting around. I am going to buy a Sony or some other make where they value their customers. I have written to them twice and they have rejected me, with "not a dell error". So i suggested they make their m4700 web page clearly state it as a 16gb/32gb machine and not a 32gb machine, but they didnt respond to that suggestion.

2 Posts

November 5th, 2013 06:00

I have the same problem here. I installed 4x 8Gb Crucial guaranteed modules and my laptop didn't boot.

My processor model is i7-3520M not a quadcore, but the maximum supported memory is 32Gb as they say in Intel specs (http://ark.intel.com/products/64893).

I also bought this computer, one year ago because I knew that I would need the memory upgrade. It's so disappointing.

I will try to upgrade the BIOS firmware just in case.

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the CPU?

1 Message

July 29th, 2014 09:00

I have the same processor.

I took a look at the link you provided, and it looks like the processor does support 32Gb, but only as 2 slots available, which may be why you are having trouble with slots C and D.

I'm looking into upgrading my factory 8Gb and came across this thread while researching best steps.

If anyone has suggestions on how to take advantage of the full 32 I'd be happy to hear them.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2014 09:00

You must have a quad-core i7 in order to use all four memory slots.  The dual-core i7 supports only two memory slots in this model.  It's not what Intel supports that matters here - it's what the system supports, and the mainboard will take four soDIMMs only if a quad core i7 is installed.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2015 23:00

i know this is an ancient thread but i cannot find an answer anywhere, i have a quad core i7 m4700 and when i add RAM to slots C and D it will not boot did anyone find an answer to this ?

2 Posts

July 27th, 2015 06:00

You will not be able to make that work. The only solution is upgrade the processor ($900+).

I had the same issue, and after complaining to DELL's support service the official response was:

"In the page 75 of the User's Manual you will find the information about the upgrade of the memory in this Precision model."

I can't accept your petition of substitution or change."

The bad part is I bought the laptop via phone and I specifically ask the seller about a model upgradeable to 64gb.

Big sad face to DELL. :emotion-6:

3 Posts

July 28th, 2015 03:00

should be able to add more ram IF it is a quad core, but i have realised that mine is a duo core with 4 threads, so now i have 32G of 4 G ram and can use 8 :-(

1 Message

July 22nd, 2016 14:00

I read a lots of posts on internet regarding the inability of M4700 Precision model to use all 4 memory slots. However, I have successfully upgraded the RAM on my precision laptop from 8 GB to 32 GB (4 slots x 8 GB). I used DDR3 1600MHz RAM from Dell and it worked without any issues. I had a quad core processor.

No Events found!