Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2013 19:00

Precision M6500 Heat & Shutdown Problem

My M6500 Precision has a serious heat problem.... a few things happening:

1. Many times when Windows 7 does updates when I'm shutting down for the night, then the next day I turn it on, some of the updates are initiating. But the fans are going like a bat out of hell and the CPU's are going full on and the heat gets way up there into the 90*C range.
  2. Recently, after the system is in sleep, and turn the sytem back on, it shows a message about heat and it did a shutdown. After the system is testing itself, it doesn't finish and it does an emergency shut down.
  3. Doesn't take much to get the fans going like crazy and for a long time now, the back of the laptop is extremely hot and never cools down.
Call me crazy, but it started to do this in the last 8 months, but unfortunately, with the current heat issues I'm experiencing now, it's shutting down often from heat. I also notice svhost is running several instances, one in particular is a system svhost at 210K or more in size....and this isn't even when I started to do anything. 
The other unfortunate thing is that this system is 3+ years old now and the support package is done.
Any ideas?
The system is:
Processor:  I7-720QM
RAM: 8 GB
two solid states 60 GB each
ATI Graphics FirePro

June 24th, 2013 23:00

Dell Precision M6500 i7 CPUX920 Overheating

I have a very easy, cheap, and reliable (although noisy) solution.  The back left vent is the key to cooling the CPU.  Place a vacuum cleaner against the grates on the back left and let it rip.  I was just running 6 engineering model simultaneously (in the past even running 1 model would overhead +90C and often shutdown).  The vacuum cleaner sucks the temp down 15-20C in seconds.

January 6th, 2014 10:00

My November 2010 Dell Precision M6500 began to develop a variety of problems just out of the 3 year warranty. It began to slow down to a crawl especially trying to do anything with big RAW files in Lightroom. The Windows experience Aero graphics score fell from 6.8 when the computer was new down to 2.8. The video drivers on the Dell site for the NVIDEA Quadro FX 2800M graphics card were rather old so I downloaded the latest (Nov 2013) drivers off the NVIDEA site.  I also updated to the latest Dell bios. Neither made any difference. The fans began to run all the time. The computer frequently spontaneously rebooted. It suffered several blue screen of deaths. I thought I might have a virus (as the symptoms seemed to have developed quite quickly). Scans with Sophos and Malware bytes revealed nothing and the problem persisted when disconnected from the Internet.

Suspecting overheating I used the online Dell service manual and dismantled the computer. This was the dust on the inside of the CPU heat sink.

This is how it should look. The graphics heatsink was similarly blocked but was even more difficult to get at and clean. No wonder other threads talk of Dell replacing the video card when the computer is still under warranty.

Once back together, the computer is running cool again with hardly any noise from the fans. It is also working like greased lightning and the graphics score is back to 6.8.

It is a real pity that the whole computer needs to be dismantled to get at these heat sinks. It is not a great design. I don't think the above vacuum cleaner trick would be able to suck the dust through the heat sink without disassembly. Even when the heat sink was dismantled, I could not suck the dirt through the heat sink, it had to be blown back the way it had come. If you reversed the vacuum and blew through the assembled computer grill, you would just blow the dust back into the fan and it would subsequently reblock the heat sink.

Perhaps regularly using the vacuum on suction through the computer grilles might prevent the build up of dust, I don't know. Otherwise it is almost inevitable that your Precision M6500 will become affected. It took me about 7 hours plus a trip to Maplin for some heat sink thermal compound paste to get it running again. It is not what I expected from a top end laptop. Perhaps they are built with a three year life expectancy for business but I am a private buyer and expected it to last longer.

Douglas

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Have you tried updating your BIOS? Here is the link

www.dell.com/.../precision-m6500

Download and run, make sure the ac adapter and battery is connected.

Let me know of the results.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2014 17:00

I forgot about this posting I did....anyway, good timing on your post because today I started up my M6500 (it's been a while) and sure enough, HOT HOT shutdown and fans going crazy. So I Googled and found this old post of mine and your answer.

Sure enough, my heat sink grille was filled like your photo. 

Taking this machine apart was a serious job that was annoying as hell, especially putting it back ending up with 2 screws left out.

You would think for a machine like this and the cost of it, they would have better filtering and easier cleaning of it.

Anyway, thanks for posting because now my machine (which I use as a backup to my M6700) is running quiet and the temp hangs around 45*C to 60*C instead of 80-100

3 Posts

January 7th, 2014 17:00

I downloaded the update but realized I can't do this because my battery is history and already recycled. I currently have no battery.

January 7th, 2014 18:00

I had the same issue and fixed the problem by tearing everything apart, cleaning, and replacing the heatsink gel.  I'm trying a regular vacuum maintenance to try to suck out debris before it gets overwhelming.  I'm hoping to avoid taking everything apart again (very time consuming).   

1 Message

April 30th, 2015 17:00

The video card assembly is visible in the background of this photo.  With the CPU heatsink removed, just a few more screws and one more electrical connector are involved with removing it as well.  Removing the fan from the assembly (3 screws) allows for thorough cleaning of the video card assembly heatsink.  (The M6500 may have different video cards, so perhaps some are more difficult.)  My CPU heatsink was just as dirty as the one in your picture, and the video card assembly heatsink was half as bad.

Thank you for your post - I cannot believe how hot and slow my computer had become before I recognized the problem, with your help!

1 Message

July 24th, 2016 04:00

thanks  DaveinMelbourne  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19503806/20397917#20397917 that made the trick for me :) but I really had to apply the vacuum cleaner so that it sucked the dust inside :)

(first time I tried it didn't seem to work)

No Events found!