Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2012 16:00

Precision M6600 Windows 7 64 Professional - Random windows "always on top"

When I open a new window on my Dell Precision M6600 Windows 7 64 bit professional Laptop, that window will randomly have an "always on top" attribute.  The problem does not seem to be related to any specific application.   This is extremely annoying.

3.8K Posts

September 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you uninstall a software called PremierColor which is on your computer, to see if that helps.

Thank you.

16 Posts

September 9th, 2012 06:00

Royan,

You are indeed correct - uninstalling the PremierColor software will eliminate this problem.

The problem with uninstalling the PremierColor software is that it removes the all-important color management capabilities from the RGBLED backlit display. I paid a premium (hundreds of dollars!) for this display upgrade specifically so I could take advantage of the advanced color management capabilities.

So now where do I go with Service Request  <ADMIN NOTE: service request number removed per privacy policy> Will there be a software update from Portrait Displays? Will Dell come up with an equivalent replacement? Will Dell compensate me for the functionality I paid for but did not receive?

Thank you for your consideration.

- Lee

3.8K Posts

September 13th, 2012 11:00

Hi Lee,

Send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me a s friend and send me your Service Tag, phone number and address.

Thank you.

6 Posts

September 13th, 2012 11:00

Royan,

I have not yet tried your suggestion, mostly based on the comments made by Lee.  I prefer not to loose functionality by deleting the PremierColor software, especially since I don't know what I would be loosing!  I'm still hoping for a better solution.

I would like to add an additional "complaint" regarding this machine.  I also purchased a Dell Bluetooth wireless mouse along with the laptop.  The mouse works well mostly, however it will lock up and stop working randomly.  This is also quite annoying because I sometimes have to delete the mouse from the Bluetooth device list and re-discover in order to get it working again.  Any known issues with this?  We have several Dell users in our office with machines of similar vintage, and several have experience similar issues with the Bluetooth mouse.

Thanks,

Bob

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 06:00

Royan,

I have not heard from you regarding my last post.  I uninstalled the PremierColor software, and the problem with the "always on top" windows.

However, I still suffer with the Dell Bluetooth wireless mouse locking up.

Thanks,

Bob

3.8K Posts

October 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi Bob,

I am sorry I missed this one. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Bluetooth driver. You can download the driver from the support site. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

6 Posts

October 8th, 2012 17:00

Hi Royan,

I meant to say in my previous post that your suggestion regarding uninstall of PremierColor software did in fact solve the "random windows always on top" problem.

Now back to the Bluetooth problem, I have also started a new thread regarding the Dell Travel Mouse problem, and have received responses that have not been that helpful.

Since you correctly identified my other major problem, I'm hoping you can do the same with the Dell Travel Mouse.

Let me repeat a description of the problem:

Occasionally, on restoring the laptop from hibernation, the Dell Travel Mouse does not work.  The only solution I have found is to actually delete the Travel Mouse from the Bluetooth device list, and then let the Bluetooth software re-discover the mouse and install the driver.

Thanks,

Bob

9 Posts

October 12th, 2012 12:00

Whats the real point in uninstalling PremierColor, why can you guys not push out a simple update? I mean why deliver faulty software? If deleting premier color is the only solution how else do i change color management in windows?

1 Message

January 29th, 2013 13:00

Just got my M6600 and have most everything set up. This random always on top issue is driving me nuts though. With multiple monitors I find my self  looking around trying to find the window I just opened... I don't see a fix for this on here other than uninstalling. I'm using this machine for CAD work so I guess color doesn't matter too much to me? What am I loosing by uninstalling? I tried  to update the software but it says that its current. Why hasn't this been fixed?

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 15:00

I got a new M6700 and have exactly the same problem. Hopefully Dell release a update for Premier Color to fix it.

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 18:00

Same problem here. Any updates?

4 Posts

March 19th, 2013 19:00

It's the PremierColor. I exit when every time I finish changing the color settings, the always on top problem doesn't appear any more. Unless Dell fix the software problem, I don't how to solve it completely.

No Events found!