Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 10:00

Problems with BIOS Flash A09 Inspiron 1720 and Microsoft 7

I am trying to install Microsoft 7 (and GET OUT of Vista).  Naturally nothing can be easy and I've run into a series of problems. 

-- I downloaded microsoft 7 from the microsoft online store
-- I can't complete the setup process until I update the BIOS -- error message is:
 Windows cannot be installed on this computer with the current system BOIS versoin. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update, install the update, and then start windows instalation again. OEM Name: Dell Inc.; OEM Model: Inspiroin 1720 ; BIOS Version: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04; BIOS Date: 20071105000000.000000+000

-- So, I went to dell and downloaded BIOS A09

-- I went to run it but I am told I have to be an administrator

-- After reading online how to be an admin of my own computer, I logged in as "safe mode" and try to run it again

-- now is where the fun starts -- I get a new error -- it tells me that it won't run due to a flash error, something like this:

BIOS Flash A09 Inspiron 1720

0X00000610
0X0000043C

I've looked online but don't see a solution. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Would appreciate some advice. I've spent a lot of money on Vista -- I added ram and now have 4GB. I also spent $75 to have someone look at my computer to fix the constant crashing but that didn't work either. i'm ready to escape.

940 Posts

October 30th, 2009 12:00

It is very simple to fix. Just log into you laptop normally and right click on the Bios update that you downloaded and select "Run as Administrator" and you should be fine.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for responding so fast. I just tried and it's good to know I can do that.

Unfortunately in this case I got another error that reads:

Incompatible SMBIOS Table

An Incompatible SMBIOS (system information) table was found in memory. If the system should be supported by this flash application, please reboot and try again. If this error re-occures, please contact technical help.   Maybe I upgraded to the wrong BIOS? I'm just tyring to load Microsoft 7 and this BIOS thing keeps getting in my way. it's my last huddle.

Any ideas?

940 Posts

October 30th, 2009 14:00

I can not help you with that since I never do an upgrade. I always do a clean install by booting from the disk and letting it wipe the drive. You should try Google on that problem.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2009 14:00

Actually,  I did it again and this time it worked. I was able to move past the BIOS problem.  I ran into another snag. Now it's saying that before I can install Microsoft 7 that I need to uninstall "Kaspersky Anti-Virus". The problem is I don't have that software and when I search for any files with that name I don't find any.

No Events found!