Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

May 4th, 2011 11:00

Question about 17r battery and temperature.

Sorry if this it too specific, but I am curious as to whether the battery temperature sensor is in the battery itself, or in the laptop near the battery compartment?

I ask because I have just received that laptop from Dell outlet, and I get a "Temporary Battery Failure. Please turn off the computer until the unit it at operational temperature" message upon booting. This message occurs regardless of ambient temperature. The computer works fine otherwise, and without the battery installed I get no notice of any malfunction. The CSR I spoke with asked that I ship the entire laptop back and wait an additional 2+ weeks for repair.

So, if the temperature is indeed in the laptop, then sending the entire unit back is the only course of action. However, if the sensor is in the battery, I see no reason that I can't be shipped a new battery, and send the defective on back. That way I would get to continue to use the laptop!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 4th, 2011 11:00

The battery has a temperature sensor built in.  The fist thing they SHOULD try is sending you a replacement battery - as you expect.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2011 13:00

Thanks info, I'll try to chat with them again tonight.  If I do have to send the whole thing in, will they actually repair it, or do they just swap it out with another one?

No Events found!