Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

February 14th, 2005 21:00

Random boot failure, blinking lights

Some times, completely randomly, when I pull my laptop out of my bag and press the power button the Power light turns on and the HD light along with the keyboard lights blink rapidly for about 5 seconds and then the power turns back off. Sometimes on a second attempt the computer boots normally or halfway through the 5 seconds of blinking it "catches" and starts up. Other times it takes a series of fiddling with AC adapter and batteries to get it to boot properly. Removing all power and holding the power button for 30 seconds doesn't seem to help.

Since this is random it is somewhat ignorable, but it's embarasing to have to sit there pulling in and out your batteries for a minute or so just to get the computer to boot.

Anyone had similar problems? Am I looking at progressive hardware failure?

937 Posts

February 14th, 2005 22:00

Which model laptop?

funtoupgrade

3 Posts

February 14th, 2005 22:00

Sorry, I forgot. It's an Inspiron 600m 1.5Ghz Pentium-M, about 6 months old.

248 Posts

February 16th, 2005 15:00

It is possible that the battery is dead, that happened to me on several occasions.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2005 21:00

I'm pretty sure that's not it as both of my batteries (main and modular bay) are charged almost fully. Once the computer is running it is using the batteries just fine for hours.

4 Posts

February 28th, 2009 15:00

I am also having the same problem with my four year old Inspiron 600m (purchase November 2004).  Sometimes the notebook powers up just fine.  But most of the time, when I push the power button, the three LED's (cap lock, num lock, and scroll lock) will blink quickly for about five seconds and then nothing.  I've tried booting from the battery (freshly charged) and removing the battery and running only on AC.  I've also tried re-seating the RAM chips, the CD-Drive, and the hard drive.  So far, nothing has worked.  The problem seems to be getting worse and I have backed up my data -- but I'd like to continue to use the notebook computer.  In its current state, I just don't have confidence that I would be able to turn it on when I really need it.

Has anyone ever hear of a realiable diagnosis for what would cause the three LED's (cap lock, num lock, and scroll lock) to blink quickly for five seconds at power up and then nothing happens?  I've seen speculation that it is a motherboard problem, but nothing beyond that.

Thanks,

- Ed

1 Message

April 7th, 2009 05:00

This is confirmed by Dell support as a mother-board problem.     New Mother-board $373.99 + tax and shipping.... sighs...Waiting for mine to arrive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 7th, 2009 05:00

Price too high.  Alternative:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=617

No Events found!