Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2012 08:00

Random windows "Always on top"

Every once in a while, one of my windows switches to "Always on top" mode. There's no rhyme or reason to this; I can't think of any mouse or keyboard sequence that does it as it appears completely randomly. It's naturally quite annoying as the only way around it is to close down the offending window.

This has been happening since I got the laptop a couple months ago. It's a Dell M6600 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I have an nVidia card but nView is disabled, so I know that's not the culprit. I suspect that monitor switch icon that shows up to the left of the minimize button might have something to do with it, but I can't figure out how to remove that thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Message

March 7th, 2012 13:00

I've the same problem. It comes from the soft "premiercolor". More specialy from the modul "display splitter". I think it's better to swith off this thing.

9 Posts

March 7th, 2012 08:00

Occasionally, the monitor switch icon detaches in such a way that it shows up in Alt-Tab. Its title is "DP_MenuBar_Window" if that helps anyone narrow down where it's coming from.

9 Posts

March 7th, 2012 13:00

How do I turn off the display splitter?

9 Posts

March 7th, 2012 18:00

That just closes the offending application, which is hardly the right solution. I want to prevent it from happening in the first place.

3.8K Posts

March 7th, 2012 18:00

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Community. Does this happen on the internet explorer/chrome windows? Have you tried the keyboard sequence by pressing ALT+Space+C ? I have come across this issue in Google Chrome. See below links.

www.google.com/.../thread

www.google.co.in/.../thread

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

March 17th, 2012 08:00

Hi All,

I've the same very annoying behavior, got a brand new m6600 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and whenever I start a new application the current window stays in the foreground instead of going in the background. It also happens when you want to switch with alt tab to another window. The window which has the current focus just stays in focus and you have to minimize it to see the target window.

I've just switched off the premiercolor utility to see if that  gets rid of  this very annoying behavior.

Regards,

Danny

9 Posts

March 17th, 2012 09:00

I have disabled PremierColor as well, hopefully that will solve the problem.

1 Message

April 26th, 2012 10:00

I have the same scenario, m6600 Win7 64bit, and found this thread searching for dp_menubar_window (which is what shows up in the alt+tab selection).  I too shut down PremierColor and the problem magically vanished.  Hooray for junk pre-installed on new laptops.  Thanks for your post, it helped me determine the exact issue, and I guess the next step is to ensure PremierColor no longer starts up with my system.

September 7th, 2012 04:00

Praise the Lord, thank you Jebus.

I hope this solves my problem on the M6600 as well...

I just uninstalled the 

premiercolor, everthing looks ok now.

Eitherway: last Dell laptop EVER.

Thank you guys

16 Posts

September 9th, 2012 05:00

Yes, switching off the version 1.01 (low version being the first clue to this software not being ready for prime time) of the PremierColor software resolves this problem.

HOWEVER!!!!

This also removes the color management capabilities for my RGBLED backlit display, for which I paid a premium of HUNDREDS of dollars.

In fact, I specifically chose this laptop because of its RGBLED backlight and color management capabilities. Without color management software, I might as well have gotten the less expensive display.

I have also paid dearly for the highest level support (aka "Gold" or whatever it is they call it these days). Now that I have discovered the cause, I have emailed the support technician with whom I have been working (twice).

My Service Request Number is  <ADMIN NOTE: service request number removed per privacy policy> in case anyone from Dell is reading.

My Questions:

• Is Dell working with Portrait Displays to resolve this issue? All they have to do is get rid of that screen splitter garbage or at least give me ability to disable it.
  • If a software update from Portrait Displays is not forthcoming, will I be receiving functionally equivalent software?
  • If no update is available, when will I receive a refund for the extra money I paid for this display, which now does not function as promised?

9 Posts

October 10th, 2012 16:00

Any reply from dell yet? they should at least disable that specific function!

9 Posts

October 15th, 2012 15:00

here is the solution:

Hi Riccardo,

Thank you for contacting Portrait Displays.

I believe the problem may be related to the desktop partition options in PremierColor. Try disabling that feature and see if you still have the same problem. You can disable it by going to the following directory in your computer:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Plugins

You should see a folder there named DP. Rename that folder to DP.bak. That will disable the desktop partition options.

Regards,

Bryan Paulsen

Technical Support

Portrait Displays, Inc.

Admin Note: removed per YOU policy~RK>

3 Posts

January 16th, 2013 12:00

I had exactly the same problem on my Dell Precision M6700 and did as Bryan suggested. It seems to solve the problem!

1 Message

January 31st, 2013 01:00

I cannot rename the DP folder, since it is in use. What to do?

1 Message

February 7th, 2013 05:00

Close Premiere Color before renaming. 

No Events found!