Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

2 Posts

April 15th, 2008 13:00

Recommendations to clean off new software?

Hello,

I just recently recieved my new Dell XPS 1530 with Windows Vista Ultimate.  I am currently in the process of cleaning off junkware that always comes loaded with a new computer and just wondered if anyone could offer up their recommendations of purely un-needed Dell software or other pre-loaded. 

I think about all Dells come with the same mock-up, any suggestions would be fantastic and save a lot of time... I'm not really all that computer proficient and don't want to delete aything that would be harmful longterm, but it seems to come loaded with about 2-3 options each for music, pictures, etc. and I feel like one copy of similar software is plenty.    Thanks.

20 Posts

April 15th, 2008 14:00

Just reformat. If you need an OEM Vista disk, call M$ and they will send you one for $20. But seriously its the best way. Whenever I get a new laptop, or set one up for that matter, I just reformat the system and start fresh. That way you have none of the bulkware, none of the propriority software (except the stuff you want) and you can get your "recovery" 10GB back.

Don't use that recovery partition to reformat eather. Its an exact copy of the hard drive from when the system left the factory, so it has all the bloatware on it.

Just reformat, reinstall your drivers, grab the Dell Quickset utility, and your good to go.

Cheers

Cameron 

64 Posts

April 15th, 2008 15:00

Alternatively, you can simple uninstall everything listed in Programs & Features (Add/Remove)

There's no possible way to damage your system by simply removing software. If anything stops working, download the driver support.dell.com

Message Edited by xantonin on 04-15-2008 10:24 AM

20 Posts

April 15th, 2008 19:00

The problem you run into with just uninstalling all your software is, there are still traces to be removed. You need to clean your registry, delete folders uninstallers don't always get rid of, and then defrag.

At the end of the day its the OP's call, but I prefer a clean slate.

Cheers

Cameron 

9 Posts

April 15th, 2008 19:00

http://pcdecr apifier.com/  Fix the URL
No Events found!