Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 24th, 2011 15:00

Remember when laptops could capture video?

I just need to vent.  I've already researched the issue pretty thoroughly and I know how screwed I am. 

Is anyone else's life ruined by the lack of ability to capture video on current-gen laptops?  No firewire, no express cards, no adapters.  Even the Blackmagic stuff let me down.  I feel like current technology just wanted to give editors that are always on the go the finger.

Such a powerful machine.  Such great functionality, and it's all so close.  If I could just use it without having to carry around the older editing laptop from 4 years ago my life would be perfect. 

/firstworldproblems/  /plannedobsolescence/  /video angst/

9 Posts

August 24th, 2011 17:00

I work in a legal video field which isn't as fast catching up with the times.  They stick with simple DV tapes or sometimes DVDs.  The technology has surpassed that industry.  There's actually more post-production work in such a field with flash memory, whereas a tape can just be mailed in.  Le sigh.  Also, I own a V1U which should not be anywhere near obsolete yet.  

9 Posts

I am all for technology progressing ,it's just aggravating that the few people who have to retain the standardized technology have not even a patchwork solution available to them.

2.2K Posts

Most newer camcorders use flash memory which can easily be imported into the computer using a card reader.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You can still get firewire on some models - but it's a dying technology even its inventor (Apple) is retiring.  Express Cards are still there on many models - not, though on consumer-grade models.

It used to be when you bought an airline ticket, you got a meal and baggage transport included - then the consumer demanded rock-bottom prices, and now those cost extra.

It used to be you might get what are fairly costly (licensing, in the case of firewire, or hardware in the case of Express Card) items included - but then consumes began demanding the lowest possible prices on notebooks - so these features became the province of higher-end business models.

As with everything, you get what you pay for.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 24th, 2011 18:00

The get what you pay for slant seems to not be relevant to the discussion.  I went to every computer shop and looked at all the places that sell laptops online, even custom-built ones, and simply put, even if you pay a ton, you still won't find current gen computers that interface with HD video cameras.

The current generation HD video cameras capture to flash card memory as was mentioned before. An better than entry-level PC can can deal with that.

9 Posts

August 24th, 2011 18:00

The get what you pay for slant seems to not be relevant to the discussion.  I went to every computer shop and looked at all the places that sell laptops online, even custom-built ones, and simply put, even if you pay a ton, you still won't find current gen computers that interface with HD video cameras.  I'm commiserating that point, in my post, not lamenting my inability to afford it.  This XPS laptop is sweet but I have to capture using old technology.  Removing the express cards was the last little glimmer of hope fading.  There really should be some method available.  And there isn't, no matter what you pay.  Last gen technology is all that's up right now, until more USB 3.0 accessories eventually start to show up.  There's no reason to invalidate 10 years of prosumer and professional video cameras. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 24th, 2011 19:00

You didn't look very hard.  

There are plenty of models that have BOTH firewire AND Express Card.  They're just not consumer-grade models sold at Best Buy.

www.dell.com/.../pd

No Events found!