Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2013 14:00

Remove primary password from BIOS?

I recently acquired 3 Dell Latitude C610 laptops from a surplus computer store that sold them for parts. I have been able to restore 2 of them and donated them to Hope Industries in my community. The third laptop I am having a hard time with.  I have been able to acquire a Master password for the BIOS and am able to access the BIOS setup and would like to remove the requirement to input the master password every time the laptop is turned on.

When I try to remove the password I am asked for the OLD PASSWORD which I don't have. When I type in the Master Password into the OLD PASSWORD it immediately tells me it is INVALID.  Is there any way to remove this password when I don't have original password? A software perhaps or a procedure that would allow me to delete this password?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

35 Posts

January 5th, 2013 15:00

Open the case and remove the backup battery, wait a few minutes. This should solve your problem.

Cheers

January 5th, 2013 22:00

Thank you my friend for your response. Sadly, it didn't work. I took the cmos battery out and left it out for several hours. This did not remove the OLD PASSWORD and I couldn't blank it out when inputting my master password. I knew that the cmos battery wouldn't do it because I believe the information is saved on an eeprom and survives a lack of backup power.

Do you or does anybody else have any further suggestions?

Again, it's not the main BIOS password that I need. I have that and can readily get into BIOS as soon as I type in the password.  It's once I get into BIOS that I need to input the OLD PASSWORD so that I could delete the BIOS password altogether.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2013 03:00

Once you get into the BIOS you can change the existing administrator password.  Just leave the new field blank, save and restart.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2013 09:00

You need to call Dell.  Upon verification of ownership they'll generate the master password you need to get into the system.  From there, you can remove the password.

January 6th, 2013 09:00

Perhaps I am not making myself understood correctly. There is already an existing OLD PASSWORD that I don't remember that needs to be deleted in order to create a BLANK password so that I do not have to enter the Master password each time I turn on the computer.  When I enter the BIOS and go to Page 7 there is already an existing OLD PASSWORD that I need to delete, erase, blank out, etc.

Thank you for your suggestion. I wish I could leave the new field BLANK but it is NOT BLANK now.  I want it BLANK.

I hope this helps explain my predicament a little bit better.

Thank you.

January 6th, 2013 10:00

Wait, so are you saying that the password that was given to me in order enter the BIOS is not the Master Password? When I turn on the computer I am asked to enter the BIOS password which allows me to enter the system including the BIOS. Before I had that password I couldn't do anything at all. Then I was given what I was told was the Master Password and I could go in and change the BIOS setting and get into the computer and work on it as normal. But I could not remove the Password from Page 7. Are you telling me there is another Master Password than the one given to me to enter the BIOS?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you got in with the master password, you can change anything you wish from there.

No my friend. That isn't so. I wish! But each and every time I try to input the Master Password in the OLD PASSWORD section of the BIOS it rejects it as invalid. The instructions given to me were to input the Password given to me into the OLD PASSWORD section and press ENTER three times. Upon the first ENTER I immediately get an INVALID response. If it were to accept the the password then I could blank out the password and remove this annoying requirement of having to enter the password each time I turn on this laptop. It's no big deal for me but I am fixing these computers to donate them to kids in Hope Industries who cannot afford them. As for me I just wanted to throw them away but now that I fixed the first two I want to get this one running for them as well.

Like I said, I got it to work perfectly with all the updates and everything. It works terrific. Just that annoying password requirement each time I turn it on.

So how do I remove the OLD PASSWORD?  

Already removed the CMOS battery for several hours.

Entered the Master Password already.

What else can I do?

Will Dell give me a password even though these laptops were already thrown away?

1 Message

March 2nd, 2013 09:00

Hey! Praise the lord! I'm having the EXACT same problem RIGHT NOW!

I was able to generate the master password to access the bios+system.
but every time I try to disable that old password thingy(thinking that the new generated master password would do the job)
it says INVALID!
Profane word removed as per TOU>
I wonder who can help us! knowing that these laptops are very old. (mine is DELL LATITUDE CPx H500GT)
I'll contact Dogbert to see if he can help, if he does, I'll send you the algorithm that can fix that issue.
Cheers! 

July 31st, 2013 12:00

i also have the same issue what a nightmare

4 Posts

November 27th, 2013 23:00

Try This....And BAM!!!!  And if it Did Not Work, Just Reply.....http://bios-pw.org/

No Events found!