Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 05:00

S/PDIF output on Studio 1558?

Hi there!

I've got a Studio 1558 (more specifically Studio 1558-4529, according to a sticker on the base of the laptop). It's got Core i7 processor, ATI 5470 graphics card, and slot load DVD/RW. In several websites, optical S/PDIF is listed among the 1558 specs, and I assume that they wouldn't leave this somewhat standard feature out on a quite expensive laptop like this, with Core i7 and all that. There are three jack connectors on the left side, two of them labelled with a headphone symbol and the remaining one marked with a MIC symbol; none of them have any S/PDIF logo).

From the Audio menu that pops up every time I insert a jack into any of the inputs, I gather that you can have analog 5.1 sound using all three jacks with (I suppose) jack to RCA cables. But I can't see any reference to S/PDIF anywhere.

I've tried inserting a TOSLINK jack adapter to each jack connector and check for a red light lighting up, but I couldn't see any.

So, to sum up, I would be greatly indebted if anyone could let me know how I could enable S/PDIF output on my machine or, at least, how I could check if my laptop has got S/PDIF at all. Thanks a lot in advance!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 07:00

Where did you see those specs? Spdif is not in the specs in the 1558 Setup Guide. Optical spdif is not a standard feature on Dell laptops and I can't remember ever seeing a model that had it at all -- possibly some of the very old models had it. For a while Dell included coax spdif as part of the tv output jack (s-video) but one needed a breakout cable to access the spdif pin in the s-video port. When Dell started implementing HDMI video they got rid of the s-video port so now there is no spdif at all in the laptops as far as I know. Even on high end Dell laptops audio seems to be just an afterthought.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 14:00

Where did you see those specs? Spdif is not in the specs in the 1558 Setup Guide. Optical spdif is not a standard feature on Dell laptops and I can't remember ever seeing a model that had it at all -- possibly some of the very old models had it. For a while Dell included coax spdif as part of the tv output jack (s-video) but one needed a breakout cable to access the spdif pin in the s-video port. When Dell started implementing HDMI video they got rid of the s-video port so now there is no spdif at all in the laptops as far as I know. Even on high end Dell laptops audio seems to be just an afterthought.

Hi jimco, thanks for your reply. I saw the bit about s/pdif in quite a few places, like this PcPro review and the Studio 15 Wikipedia entry, among others. Also, I remember seeing it mentioned (maybe as an option) on the Quick Guide printed booklet which came with the laptop, although I haven't it around to check. On the other hand, some other places, like this seemingly very thorough German website I just found says there's no spdif. Sad to learn Dell laptops are on the skimpy side, soundwise; my A/V receiver's HDMI ports are just for video switching, unfortunately, which I reckon leaves me with the option of plugging a lot of cables to the laptop to get 5.1 sound via the analog jacks. Oh well, bad luck...

Thanks again!

Ave

No Events found!