Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2010 04:00

SATA disk failure

I wonder if you could please help me?  When starting up my laptop, i slowly achieve the desktop screen but on starting any application hang the computer.  Occasionally CHKDSK is started and completed before the desktop is achieved.

I believe that the key error messages are "Error code 0146", "SAT Disk S/N=5SX296LS", "ERROR CODE 0F00 0244, MSG DSK_0 - Block 339442171, carn't read, replace disk or remove write protection"

Computer details: 18 month old Dell inspiron 1525 Model No: PP29L.

I assume that my hard disk has crashed and that i need to get another.  Is this correct?  Should i get the replacement from dell?  Will i have any trouble with the operating system, specifically, is the operating system on the disk that is failing and if so, how do i transfer this to the new disk?  Is installing the new hard disk a complex proceeedure, should i have the confidence to "have a bash myself", or take it to a local repair shop / send it off to dell?

The computer has been used simply to surt the web, so recovery of old information is not a concern.

Any help / insights greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2015 13:00

The recovery images made with the earlier versions of DBAR require that the replacement drive be the same size or larger than the original - there's no way around that short of upgrading the Dell backup and recovery program and making a new recovery media set using it.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2010 05:00

Additional information, recorded prior to running the system check, posted to a tech support forum, but had no replies ...

My laptop will not start up correctly.

Problem description: when the PC is booted it runs very slowly. It defaults into running Chkdsk and completes the check (verifies files ok, but then produces these messages:
- Checking error in index $130 for file 54621 (3 times repeated)
- Sorting index $130 in file 54621
Then recovers a number of orphaned files (for example TarD172.tmp)
then concludes with a verification of serurity descriptions without generating further errors.

The CHKDSK then completes and the computer goes back to booting to the Vista GUI.

The remainder of the startup process completes, but is very slow. Which ever process is then started ends up hanging the PC. for example, task manager allows 0 applications to be seen, but will hangs the pc if i switch to viewing processes (BTW, processes 84, CPU=1%, Mem=38%). Earlier attempts to view MacAfee instead of the task bar resulted in a reference to a circular arrow icon in the bottom right part of the tool bar. This appeared, but the PC hanged. Update, actually the task view processes were eventually reported, but took about 5 minutes to switch to them. The computer then blue screens with "a problem has been detected, shutting down your machine to protect it" message.

On reboot, when safe mode was selected, pages of loaded windows drivers are reported, with crcdisk.sys being the last. bootup completes very slowly, but without the safemods reports in the four corners of the screen (this is the usual status). A problems reports and solutions message indicates that the RAID controller is missing a driver, but i cannot activate the internet download.

Computer: About a year old. Dell Inspiron 1525, running Windows Vista Home Premium, with intel core2 Duo. Main use is internet browsing. It may be that we have picked up a virus, but McAfee protection was up to date.

Is is possible to create a boot disk for Vista and attempt to bi pass these problems? Can you suggest an alternative approach?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 30th, 2010 05:00

Yes, the drive needs to be replaced.  Any standard 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive will work - you need not buy from Dell.  What you WILL need to obtain is a copy of Windows - from Dell -- as you will need it to do the reload on the new drive.

See here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2010 08:00

A quick bit of feedback.  Your advice worked very well.  It gave me the confidence to buy a hard drive replacement and install (very easy).  However, I was not able to get access to the internet.  So I used a NetGear WPN111 connection to get access, and then used the site that you referenced in your post to down load the missed drivers.  While i do not have the totally replaced desktop that the machine arrived with (thankfully!) i am now able to access the internet using the activated internal wireless device.  Thank you for your prompt and accurate help,

5 Posts

August 29th, 2015 11:00

I'm having this problem now. I have to replace the hard drive. Since the OS (Windows 7) came with the laptop, I created an image and backed it up. This backup has the recovery area included.

I do have the Microsoft Product Key. How does this work? Did I loose the OS and have to buy another one?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 29th, 2015 12:00

If you made a backup image, simply start up the system from the backup media and it'll restore the system to factory configuration in about 15-20 minutes.

5 Posts

September 4th, 2015 10:00

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Ok, tried this yesterday. But unfortunatelly, it won't allow me to recover the OS because the recovery media was created in a 650GB hard drive, and the new one I have is 500GB. I don't think that the OS occupies all that space, and besides, I never used the old hard drive to its full capacity.

So I guess there is something I need to change in the recovery media? The laptop won't boot from the usb hard drive where I have the backup stored (i tried amending the boot order, but still it won't do it).

Do you have any suggestions?

5 Posts

September 14th, 2015 04:00

Since updating the Dell backup system would mean re-inserting the old hard disk in the laptop, I thought I'd start from scratch again.

I managed to get a copy of Win7 from work, and then when attempting to change the product key using slmgr.vbs -ipk, it gave me an error message (the famous 0XC004F015). When I ran slui.exe 0x2a0xc004F015 from the command line, an "activate windows" dialogue box comes up. I didn't activate anything as it seemed to me I would be activating the wrong copy of the OS.

Originally, I bought the laptop with the Home Win7 edition, but eventually I upgraded it to Professional through the Microsoft Upgrade (all legal). Now, the key I'm trying to activate is the one that appears in the laptop's Microsoft sticker, which is very likely to be for the Home product.  Is there a way to find out the new product key for Windows 7 Professional if I provide you or Microsoft with the old key?

No Events found!