Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2013 13:00

Screen Capture in Windows 8 Metro / Dell XPS 12

I'm trying to capture screen images in Windows 8 (Metro) and I've read several things saying that you can do it with (Windows Key + Print Screen) but it doesn't seem to work.  I've noticed that Print Screen is on the same key as a button called Insert, so I'm wondering if that's why it doesn't work.  I've tried holding shift and control to see if it makes a difference, but still can't do it.

I wish I could use the snipping tool in Metro, but it only seems to work in desktop mode.  Is there a way to use the snipping tool in Metro?

2.2K Posts

January 8th, 2013 13:00

Hi stlchris,

Welcome to the Community.

Press and hold Fn key and press print screen. This should do it for you.

Also, you could try holding down the Windows key and press the PrtScn (Print Screen) button on your keyboard. 

After that press the Win + E keyboard combination to open Explorer and navigate to your Pictures library in the left-hand side panel. You will find a newly created Screenshots folder, double-click on it to open it up. You will find all the screenshots you have taken, listed in chronological order.

Please keep me posted with the result.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

February 17th, 2014 05:00

Try pressing Fn+Win+Insert/PrtScr, the screen will dim for a moment, that means you've done it right.

615 Posts

July 14th, 2014 03:00

The long workaround is click Cnrtl+PrintScn (regardless of what else is on the same button) At this point your screenshot is on your CLIPBOARD. The tool I use is PAINT (I haven't ever had cause to use anything else so I don't know what else works) Simply open paint, get onto the image field and click Cntrl+V.

Been using this method since windows 98...never seems to fail. I'm in 8.1Pro Update 1 now.  

4 Posts

January 9th, 2013 13:00

Thanks.  That worked.  I hit every key except the Fn key :blush:

2.2K Posts

January 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi stlchris,

I am glad to know that it has worked.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the clue. It worked perfectly.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi - I have and XPS-12 / WIN 8.1

I am trying to do a 'PrtScr' also, but the solution shown does not work for me (neither of them). The fn+end or home, PgUp, Pgdn do work okay.

Thanks, Stan

April 29th, 2014 00:00

If you have a Dell XPS 12 you need to:

hold down the Fn+Win then push PrtScr.

July 13th, 2014 18:00

Hello Glenn,

I was trying to use print screen button and it worked with your solutions, nevertheless my button used to work just perfectly without the need of pressing any other key. My DELL has two separates buttons print screen and insert, and nether of them are working by them self, i have to press the Fn button. Could you help me how to reactivate my print screen and insert  buttons?  i don't know why the just stopped working as any other button. 

July 13th, 2014 18:00

Hello Manshu

I was trying to use print screen button and it worked with your solutions, nevertheless my button used to work just perfectly without the need of pressing any other key. My DELL has two separates buttons print screen and insert, and nether of them are working by them self, i have to press the Fn button. Could you help me how to reactivate my print screen and insert  buttons?  i don't know why the just stopped working as any other button.

July 13th, 2014 23:00

Check with online support through chat. They will be more likely to be able to rectify or provide advice on this issue. Also check to see if you are applying the correct updates for your computer. You may be using an incorrect version for another computer model or possibly the wrong regional updates. Beyond that, you are best to contact Dell customer support on the online chat.

Sorry I could not help further, good liuck.

1 Message

July 31st, 2014 23:00

I have tried all three of the combinations you suggested on my XPS12 and nothing happens.

September 15th, 2014 18:00

If the traditional way of pressing “PrtScn” and using Snipping Tool won’t work on your Dell computer, then you can consider using this online screenshot tool- Free Screenshot Capture. It works fine for screen capturing on Dell laptop and it even allows for uploading and sharing screenshots on web.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2014 13:00

Thanks!  Pressing Fn+Win+Insert/PrtScr worked on my Dell XPS 12. 

Just pressing Fn+PrtScr didn't work.

6 Posts

July 6th, 2017 03:00

I'd also recommend Acethinker Screen Grabber which I have used for many years. It's free and it allows for taking screenshots of whole screen or any selected area, even scroll-down page. Besides, it also comes with other features like making annotations, uploading and sharing images.

No Events found!