Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2014 12:00

Screen flickering when moving the lid on Inspiron n5521

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R-5521 (non-touchscreen model) and since it is more than a year old now, it is out of warranty. Whenever I turn on my laptop, the screen starts to flicker even on the boot screen. Sometimes the screen goes all black after a few flickering. After the moving the lid back and forth a few times the flickering stops and if I'm lucky it won't flicker for the rest of the usage period. I have updated the video card drivers as well but the problem still persists. 

I've had this problem for over a month now and I'm sure it is a hardware problem. Before taking it to a repair shop or doing a DIY fix, I want to know what the actual problem is.

Can someone who has had a similar problem help me? Thank :)

1 Message

November 1st, 2014 14:00

It sounds like the connector that connects the screen with the motherboard is loose. Therefore you'll get the flicker to stop after moving the screen back and forth. 

I'd get the Dell Service Manual for your laptop online and see if you think you'll be able to check if the connector has been inserted properly.

Good luck,

Petunia

November 2nd, 2014 20:00

Thank you so much Petunia. I really appreciate your help!

1 Message

March 9th, 2016 22:00

hi

I have the exact same problem with my inspiron 15r 5521 laptop , so i would like to know how you solved your problem. Please reply ASAP ..... thanks in advance :)

March 13th, 2016 07:00

Hi pradeep92!

The cable that connects the screen to the motherboard was loose. I opened up my laptop to disconnect the cable from the motherboard and connect it back again. I did the same with the other end of the cable that connects with the screen. I made sure I pushed the cable into its connection properly enough. 

Here is a video for instructions on how to access the cable. You do not need to replace the cable, since the cable should work fine if your screen flickers only when you move around the lid. 

www.youtube.com/watch

I hope that helps! Let me know if that fixed it for you. Feel free to ask any questions.

No Events found!