Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2015 20:00

Screen not responding to stylus

I have an Inspiron 11 3000 series 2-in-1. I have found that, although the screen is responsive to my finger, it does not respond well to a stylus. I've tried three different styli, all of which have worked on my phone but none of which have worked properly on my laptop, so I know the problem is not with the stylus itself. I've attached an image below which illustrates the problem. The top row was written with my finger, whereas the bottom row was written with my stylus (both rows should read "sample").

The only thing I've found when searching for this problem is (1) a recommendation to calibrate the screen, which did not help, and (2) someone who wrote that Dell Support recommended they purchase an active stylus, which I don't believe is appropriate for the Inspiron 11. Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

-Leonardo

6 Posts

March 17th, 2015 18:00

In case anyone encounters this thread in the future while searching for the same problem, here is the response that Dell gave me:

"We have an update from the concerned team. No built in pen support on Inspiron 3147 hence it would support neither passive nor Active stylus pen on this platform. Only finger touch is recommended." 

6 Posts

1 Message

February 27th, 2015 20:00

I have the same model you have and I am also having the same issue. I can't seem to find a stylus that will work with this  thing. I wouldn't waste your time on the Dell Active Stylus. I just received my replacement stylus today thinking they sent me a defective pen. Turns out they just don't make products that work with their own products! I purchased this stylus because one of their knowledgeable reps told me it would work. Turns out they didn't know anything.

6 Posts

March 5th, 2015 19:00

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in Dell, and in the fact that they are not addressing this issue. The active stylus is clearly not the solution, as this model was not made to be used with an active stylus, but I've seen on multiple forums that that's all Dell reps will tell customers. This is very frustrating given that part of the motivation behind the purchase of this model was the touch screen capabilities, which would allow me to take the notes I need for my job without having stacks of paper everywhere.

Am wondering when Dell will get around to addressing this issue. 

6 Posts

In case anyone encounters this thread in the future while searching for the same problem, here is the response that Dell gave me:

"We have an update from the concerned team. No built in pen support on Inspiron 3147 hence it would support neither passive nor Active stylus pen on this platform. Only finger touch is recommended." 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 18th, 2015 05:00

Just an FYI for all. The training documentation specifically states, "When a finger touches the screen". It makes no mention of a stylus.

The Inspiron 11 3147 is offered with a capacitive touch screen. Capacitive Touch Screens are an all-glass touch screen with a transparent metallic conductive coating. An electrode pattern printed along the edges which distributes a low voltage field over the conductive layer. When a finger touches the screen and draws a minute amount of current to the point of contact, creating a voltage drop. The current flow from each corner is proportional to the distance to the touch point. The X/Y location of the point of contact is calculated by the controller and transmitted to the computer.

6 Posts

March 18th, 2015 15:00

Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I only wish you had replied when I originally asked the question over a month ago, as it would have been more useful at that time. Indeed, one of my complaints in this thread was precisely Dell's unresponsiveness on the issue (and subsequent erroneous recommendation that its customers purchase an active stylus for use with this model). Perhaps Dell customer service should acquaint itself with the training documentation to which you referred. 

In any event, it is not unreasonable to expect that a stylus would work on a capacitive touch screen, provided the stylus is made from conductive material (as most are). In fact, most touch screen devices do work with a stylus. This is why I originally posed the question. In this case, training documentation or not, Dell is the clear outlier. I'll be sure to read training documentations first if I ever consider purchasing another Dell product. 

My apologies for the previously duplicated posts in this thread. I do not see a way to delete them (not that it really matters). 

No Events found!