Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 17th, 2014 10:00

Second RAM slot not working (Latitude E6400)

Hello, I have this 4-year old laptop. I bought a Kingston 2GB DDR2 800mhz CL6 PC2-6400 module to install into the second slot (the first one has the stock 2GB RAM module). BIOS didn't recognize it, so I tried to plug the original RAM module from the first slot (A) into the second (B) and the laptop didn't even power on. Then I tried to install the Kingston into the first slot (A) and the laptop did power on and run OK. So it is clear that the second RAM slot is not working properly.

Does it mean that I need to replace the motherboard in order to fix it? Is there any other way this could be fixed (maybe the slot isn't bad, it just needs some setup, maybe cleaning, I don't know)?

Thanks in advance.

Filip

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 17th, 2014 11:00

If neither module works in that slot, it's a bad memory socket - the mainboard may be repairable but the soldering required will put the price near or over what a replacement board will cost.

1 Message

May 28th, 2016 08:00

I know this is a bit late for you but someone may find this info useful going forward. I had this issue as well on a 6410. I had a 4G stick in slot one and went to put a matching stick in slot two. Got the On, Flash, On memory error. Pulled stick one and put stick two in it booted right up. Stick is good, so I had a dead slot. Looking around the net for options I ran across a fix for Toshiba where the slot just needed a little pressure so the stick made good contact with the slot. I had nothing to lose, so I set the laptop on its side, gently pressed on the second (top) memory stick and hit the power button. It booted right up and said I had changed the amount of memory. But when I removed my finger the computer crashed. I looked close and could see when I pressed on it, I was not flexing the stick but the stick was not seated in the slot fully. Not sure why the latches are not keeping it down all the way. But the fix was a 1/4 inch by 1 inch strip of 1/4 inch foam self adhesive weather striping stuck on the edge of the memory stick so when I put the cover on, it would push the stick down in the slot.

No Events found!