Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 14th, 2010 05:00

Smaller charger for Precision M6500 laptop?

I've got a precision M6500 laptop which comes which a ridiculously large power adapter. Does anyone know whether there is an alternative adapter available that's a bit smaller? I don't mind if it charges slower.

5.2K Posts

June 14th, 2010 10:00

All Dell chargers are pretty much the same size. What wattage unit do you have? If you use a smaller charger than necessary, it may refuse to charge the battery. Recently, there have been problems with the correct unit has not been working and the next larger size is necessary.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2010 00:00

The one that came with my m6500 is 210 watt and has nearly the size of a cereal box. Just wondering if there are any alternatives available...

5.2K Posts

June 15th, 2010 07:00

I didn't realize they sell this with a 210 watt supply. They do have a slimline 210 watter, but don't know how much smaller it is. If you don't have the super high power video card and only a single hard drive, a smaller supply should work. The battery is only a 9 cell, which is the same as used in other machines, but if operating demand is high, a smaller battery will not be able to run the machine and charge the battery at the same time. Don't know if the power connection on the laptop will fit a smaller unit.  You might try a 130 watt unit if you don't have high demand options.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2010 08:00

I have no issues with slow charging but I have a friend with an m6500 who tried a 90w adapter and his m6500 always crashes after a few minutes with the 90w adapter. I'd be interested in trying out a 130 watt adapter but I do want to make sure that it doesn't crash my laptop because then it would be a waste of money...

No Events found!