Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2003 15:00

Smart Card Reader

I have inspiron 600m, it looks like has a smart card reader. But so far I couldn't use it with my Blue Car, which is supposedely a smart card. How can I use my Blue American Express card with the smart card reader. I played with it a little but it doesn't look like you can insert the card there.

3 Posts

The manual says that there is a built-in smart card reader. CNet's reviews also mention it.

On the left side, there seems to be a reader. It is right above the infrared receiver.

Okay... my last suggestion, since I don't have the experience you're looking for, is to check in your Device Manager (Control Panel - System - Hardware tab, Device Manager button), and see if you get a listing for the card when it's installed. I don't have this functionality on my 8100, but if it can recognize a PC card, I'd think that the principal would be the same for a card that gets recognized by your system.

You might also want to check to see if American Express has any online documentation about this, since the population of 600m users on this forum isn't especially large, compared to 600m users at large, and the subsection of those that happen to have this card, and then those who've tried to use it, will likely be small.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck.

Edited to add link to American Express info: http://home4.americanexpress.com/blue/privatepayments/splash.asp

It looks like you can sign up with them for a PIN number, or something... maybe that's what you need to check if the card is working?

Message Edited by spiked_martini on 09-03-2003 01:04 PM

Where does it look like it has this reader? You can take a look at the 600m user guides here - they may answer your question.

The manual says that there is information on using the reader in the Tell Me How help file: Start - Help and Support - User and System Guides - User's guides, or it's also under HTML documents in the link I provided above. However, the information pretty much consists of telling you to stick it in the slot with the contact facing up. The computer is supposed to automatically detect it. The documentation talks about using the cards to unlock programs, when combined with a password... does the card you're trying to use have this kind of functionality?

3 Posts

I don't know if Blue has that capability but before posting I did a search in these forums and I know at least one person was able use American Express Blue Card with the reader. The problem is that I don't know how he/she did. I couldn't find a meaningful way of inserting the card there and using it. it doesn't look like you can insert the card there at all.

The Support, Users and Systems Guide thing is not there. I checked it out and there was no such link in the Help. Maybe I missed it but I double checked it.

But nevertheless I need someone who used this to tell me his/her experience.

Thanks for your help though.

88 Posts

September 3rd, 2003 17:00

hey sucu....I have an Amex Blue as well...so if you find a way to use it...post it here...

The smart card reader is above the IR port, right below the PC Card slot...

Message Edited by modena328 on 09-03-2003 02:11 PM

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2003 17:00

You will need to install the software first before using the smart card,

Go here http://home4.americanexpress.com/blue/about_idkeeper.asp,

September 3rd, 2003 18:00

Are you sure that software has to be installed? From what I could tell from the AmEx site (via my link above), the software installation instructions were for external card readers only, which shouldn't apply here. It sounded to me like all you had to do was to sign up for their "Private Payments" service for the card to work.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2003 01:00

I don't know about using private payments, however if you want to store logins for website you will have to download the IDkeeper, Also if you want more security for your computer you will have to get software such as OtaniumSuite, however the AmEx cards will not work with this software I believe.

Dell uses (offers) Otaniumsuite, for select Latitude computers, however it seems that you can only get this software when you use Large Business to customize your order. Here's a link http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/security_002_home.htm.

45 Posts

September 4th, 2003 03:00

Maybe you should do another search in the forums,  find the person that has gotten it installed and using it and ask THEM directly how to do it ....

Cheers, RDJ

2 Posts

December 8th, 2004 23:00

I have been using the OtaniumSuite PKI. It is a great software. I ordered from http://sales.360degreeweb.com

You can also check from Dell or Axalto.

No Events found!