Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2009 14:00

Solar Charging issues with Dell Latitude E6500

I own an Dell Latitude E6500, and  plan to be using it in remote locations where there is no access to power. So I also purchased a SolarGorilla solar panel charger along with a PowerGorilla (portable power pack)

The PowerGorilla powers my laptop fine. But the laptop doesn’t recognise it as an official AC adaptor, so it disables the ability for charging the laptop battery.

when I plug it in, I get this popup message from the Dell Control point system manager.

“Your notebook power adapter is not recognized by your Dell notebook. As a result, your power adapter may not provide sufficient power to run the system, your battery will not charge, your system will run slowly. Please insert a 90 watt Dell approved power adapter."

I am also unable to directly charge the laptop battery using the SolarGorilla for the same reason. (Which I would like to do whilst the laptop is switched off) I know it’s not charging, because the charging symbol doesn’t light up.

I discovered after reading online that some Dell laptops have a chip in their AC Adapters to recognise them. http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed. Does this mean that Dell customers are restricted to only using Dell AC adaptors if they want to charge their battery?

I really hope there is a way of being able to charge my laptop using my solar panel charger.

I am leaving in 2 weeks, and I would really like to solve this issue. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

In case you are wondering what a SolarGorilla is, this is a link https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/solargorilla/

This is the PowerGorilla.  https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powergorilla/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 9th, 2009 15:00

It does mean you must always use a dell charger.

DE2045-1320 90 Watt DC Power Adapter with Cigarette Configuration Input to Vehicle

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=A0406008

LIND ELECTRONIC DESIGN DE2045-1320 90 Watt DC Power Adapter with ...<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

The 90-Watt DC Power Adapter from Lind Electronics can be used to power your laptop and recharge the battery. It comes equipped with a Cigarette Lighter configuration that allows the user to power Laptops in an auto, airplanes, and boats. Its microprocessor control adjusts the output power to the full operating requirement for the compatible laptops. This adapter is housed in a rugged ABS case and is sealed for durability. With features like output short circuit protection, safety current limiting, internal temperature limit cut-off circuitry, it offers reliable power. It is specifically designed to work with Dell™ Inspiron™ Latitude™ E-Series, D-Series, XPS Series, Vostro Series / Precision™ M2400 Systems.

Manufacturer Part# : DE2045-1320

Dell Part# : A0406008

3 Posts

September 9th, 2009 19:00

Thankyou speedstep.

I looked into the LIND power adaptor, and it seems like it could work as a compatible substitute, thought it dosn't quite match up to the Lithium Ion powergorilla. however, I can't determine if it will be compatible with my Solar panel charger.

it's a nice suggestion, ibut it shouldnt really be necessary. it seems that Dell have too much control over compatible peripherals, and are forcing people to buy certain products.

I also checked out the rest of the site you linked me to, but I can't find any laptop solar panel chargers anywhere.

I assume there is no way to get the solar panel to directly charge the battery? I would really like to be able to do this The products came with the necessary connectors that fit my Dell laptop. so it would work, if it wasn't for the chip.

any other manufactures laptops would be working smoothly with this right now.

This issue has caused me a great deal of stress as I will be departing soon. I can't help but feel a bit slighted by Dell for implementing this restriction.why have they done this?

3 Posts

September 10th, 2009 14:00

I got in touch with the manufactures of the SolarGorilla (powertraveller). and they have promptly helped me by providing me with a special Tip that works with my laptop.

I must reccommend powertraveller and their products, the customer service was brilliant and they have been very helpful to me. There products are top notch. definitley some of the nicest quality products I have held in my hands.

i'll let you know if i manage to get the SolarGorilla working with my laptop, using the tip.

kind regards

- Exodude

1 Message

January 16th, 2010 13:00

Please post how this worked out. We have some users traveling to Haiti and this sounds like a good solution for power. Thanks.

1 Message

July 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

Thanks for your letter. I'm in the same situation with my notebook Inspiron 15z with the same message coming up. I'm using Nature Power Products 80 watt dc foldable panel. For my system it's just steady as she goes with no charging but no draining either.  There must be a cutoff point where the battery will not charge unless the voltage or wattage in in the correct range. It's a shame because the panel must be producing enough.

Thanks again. It would be good if Dell could improve the situation. Interesting hearing about the ac adaptor. Wonder if it's true? Maybe Dell has some wizard engineers that can help us past this stuck point.

Keith

No Events found!