Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

39 Posts

May 31st, 2007 00:00

Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Driver

I just got off a chat session with Dell Tech Support. The told me to go to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?fileid=169315 and download this Subject Message file only. This file is for the ADVANCED HD Audio Driver ONLY. File name: R127097.exe. The instructions do not say anything about downloading and installing 1.Notebook System Software 2.Chipset software, and 3.Sigmatel Audio Driver. This seems to be in conflict with Dell FAQ/Dell Audio Topics about installing this software. Has anyone done this yet, and if so what was the results? Is there a conflict? Which is correct? I could not find files 1.,2. and 3. on the list of downloads.

Message Edited by bob740 on 05-30-2007 09:30 PM

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 31st, 2007 02:00

bob740,

If your audio is currently functioning normally then 1, 2 and 3 are already installed. Usually you would only have to re-install these after you re-format your hard drive. To find them on your downloads page, use the 'Drivers and Downloads' link on the lower left to navigate to your page for your model and OS. Your drivers are there; I just checked at

link

That link is for an E1505/Windows XP. If you are on a dial up modem give the page a minute to load.

Here is the installation order for the Creative software in the words of forum member E1505x2 who helped Dell write the FAQ. He makes a clearer distinction here between the Audigy driver and the Invitation:

1. Notebook System Software (under System and Configuration Utilities)
2. Intel Chipset Driver (under Chipset)
3. Sigmatel Audio Driver (under Audio Drivers)
4. Creative Labs Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
3. Creative Labs Integrated Audigy Invitation

"But if you have received a cd-rom from Dell with the Creative software on it, use that instead of the Invitation. If no cd then use the Invitation."

Jim

39 Posts

May 31st, 2007 11:00

Jimco, I'm still in the twilight zone on all of this. My audio is currently functioning normally. I just don't understand the difference in the Audigy ADVANCED HD audio driver and the Invitation. All I want to do is capture streaming music off the internet. At the present time I can't. That was the reason for my comment before that I bought a boat anchor. I capture (legal) music from the internet to use in my video as background. I use(ed) Super Mp3 Recorder which will capture what you hear in either Mp3, or Wav format.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 1st, 2007 01:00

The best I can explain this mess:

Creative bundles some software with its Soundblaster cards, and the software has components named EAX Console, Surround Mixer, MediaPlayer, etc. This software won't run unless a Soundblaster driver is already running.

Dell and Creative found a way to sell the bundle to Dell owners. The Soundblaster driver that has to be on the computer is the item they call Audigy ADVANCED HD audio driver and other names. The software bundle is the part called Invitation when downloaded, but Dell also ships it out on cd-rom.

Because none of this includes an actual Soundblaster card, it doesn't do what a Soundblaster card does, i.e., provide surround sound or 'whatuhear' (called 'stereo mix' on Dells).

To capture streaming music you need stereo mix, which for unknown reasons Dell left off its version of the Sigmatel driver on the laptops that have your audio chip, the Sigmatel 92xx. On this board we know of 2 ways to get stereo mix. The easier is to install the LG version of the Sigmatel 92xx driver. The other way is to hack into the Dell's Sigmatel driver and alter the inf files. I have complete instructions for that process but it is more time consuming because it involves registering at another site to get the altered inf file, but the process itself is not difficult.

Sorry it is so complicated.

Jim

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 1st, 2007 02:00

"All the good it will do for to me is use the email when traveling."

I don't understand. Why not just use one of the solutions?

Jim

39 Posts

June 1st, 2007 02:00

Thanks Jimco. I suppose I should have done more investigating befor buying a notebook. I just assumed they all had mixers ect. like a desktop. Live and learn, but now I have to live with this thing. All the good it will do for to me is use the email when traveling. If I had known what I know now, I would never have bought a Dell. I am sure some of the other brands are the same way. From now on I'm going to stick with the Sony.

39 Posts

June 1st, 2007 13:00

Jimco, I would like to use one of the solutions, but I am not computer wise enough to maybe do it correctly. I can download and install, but when it comes to changing .ini's I am lost. My understanding, in order to capture "what-u-hear", I would need both the ADVANCED HD AUDIO DRIVER, and the Invitation Driver. I'm at an age that my mind isn't working as it should. I sure would like to get this working though.

39 Posts

June 1st, 2007 18:00

Many thanks again Jimco. Now it seems as if something is soaking into my head. I have looked for the LG Driver, but have been unable to find it. The sites do not seem to show it. Do you have a link to it, and if needed, where would I find the "rollback driver"? I found a Sigmatel STAC9200 series audio driver 5.1 at http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sigmatel-stac-audio-driver.html is that the one? Message Edited by bob740 on 06-01-2007 02:17 PM I have also found 3 on the LG web site. They are 94,472K, 4601K, and 20,522K. I am assuming it's the 94,472K?

Message Edited by bob740 on 06-01-2007 02:27 PM

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 1st, 2007 18:00

"I can download and install"

That is all either solution entails, with the LG driver solution being the simplest. This only takes a several minutes to try out, and if you don't like the LG driver you can use 'rollback driver' to get the Dell driver back in place.

If I were you I'd forget about the ADVANCED HD AUDIO DRIVER and the Invitation Driver because they are not what you need to do what you want.

Jim

39 Posts

June 1st, 2007 19:00

Thanks Jimco. With your super guidance I finally have it. Hats off to you for getting through to an old man. I'll give it a try and let you know. Many thinks again.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 1st, 2007 19:00

Bob,

I had posted the LG info on your other thread 2 days ago. I have been assuming you saw it, so I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Here it is again:

LG Service Site

1. Click on 'Device Driver'
2. Select 'Notebook' from the dropdown list under 'Product'
3. Select 'Windows XP' under 'Operating System'
4. Type 'Sigmatel' into the subject box.
5. Click 'search.'

The driver to choose is labelled Ver 5.10.04866 XNOTE(LE50)
The file size is 4,601K.

(This driver is known to work on most of the Inspirons with the 92xx chip but reportedly not on the 640m/E1405 and XPS M1210. This solution was discovered by forum member dhkang002.)

"Rollback driver" is a 'button' on a driver's properties page. To get to an audio driver's properties, right click on the speaker-shaped icon on the taskbar and select 'adjust audio properties', then the 'hardware' tab. Select the driver you want to look at, and click 'properties', then the 'driver' tab on the box that comes up. The rollback button will be there.

Jim

39 Posts

June 1st, 2007 20:00

Jimco, this old feller finally got it. The E1505 (mine) really works with that download. Even have Stereo Mix :-)) You are a very patient person to lead me by the hand, but by golly we finally accomplished some end results. I only hope I will be able to help someone else that is having the same problem with their E1505, but either don't use this forum or don't know about it. I have printed out all the instructions, and will carry them with me in my travels. In my book you are a valued asset to Dell Forums. Many, many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 2nd, 2007 00:00

I'm very glad it worked out.

By the way I'm no spring chicken myself. But we can let the youngsters have all the fun, right?

Jim

151 Posts

June 5th, 2007 20:00

I've given waiting for Dell to do the right thing.

What about that Vista driver that is shown on that site?

--------------
I understand there is, or soon will be, a new Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio Notebook  expresscard. Has anyone tried it?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 6th, 2007 01:00

WDaren,

The only thing I know about the LG Vista driver is what someone (definch20) posted about it a while back:

For Vista:
"Go to this page, click on product support and then device drivers. Under product go to notebook and in subject type Sigmatel. First download the 94,472 kb file and install that. After restarting install the Vista file also located on this site. At this point go to control panel and open Sound. On the recording tab, right click in the large box and click on show disabled devices. A stereo mix option should then appear. Click on the stereo mix and then click on set default at the bottom. It should now work!"

There is also the notebookforums.com inf file alteration solution.

Jim
No Events found!