Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2010 08:00

Stuck Key Detected - even with keyboard removed!!

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop.  When I switch it on it produces the most deafening series of beeps.  The Dell Diagnostics CD says:

• Error Code 2C00:041D Stuck Key Detected
  • Keyboard is Continuously transmitting a scan code 31h

It would appear that the left cursor key is stuck, as the only way I can get into windows (using an external keyboard) is to type my password backwards! instead of 'password' I type 'drowssap' The cursor is constantly moving left so by typing the password backwards it comes out the right way round.  WEIRD!

Now the weirder part.  I took the cover off and disconnected & removed the keyboard and trackpad.  But the problem persists: it seems this key is constantly transmitting, even without the keyboard!!

I've cleared the CMOS, left it unplugged without power, battery, CMOS Battery for 3 days.  I've flashed the BIOS, changed the Memory.  Still the same problem.  Keyboard has been disconnected all this time, but getting this constant Key signal.

Where is it coming from if the keyboard is disconnected??  Any ideas on how to fix this?

1 Message

July 26th, 2010 10:00

I faced the same problem with my Inspiron 1420, and struggled with it for more than a year. Finally, I gave in and took it to a local repair guy. Turned out that the multimedia keys panel (which communicates on the same interface as the keyboard) was causing the problem. The panel was sending out random signals apparently and this was being read as keyboard inputs on the bus. As soon as the panel was disconnected, everything worked fine. May be something similar on your laptop too.

5.2K Posts

Is everything OK once you get into Windows?

If so, there has to be a problem with the BIOS ROM or CMOS RAM. Can you get into the Dell diagnostics? I don't know if it will check either of these memories. Have you tried installing an earlier BIOS version?

Most likely will need a new system board.

The problem continues after I get into windows.  If I click on any icon, the selection flies to the icon on the top left of the current window.  If I type anything it comes out backwards because the cursor constantly moves back to the beginning of the textbox or document.  Its practically impossible to use.  Even when I try to right-click on an icon, I have to right click 4 or 5 icons to the right of the one I want, and by the time the right-click signal is received the selection has moved left to the icon I actually want to right click.

Everything is happening as it would if the left cursor key was constantly pressed down - except the laptop keyboard has been removed and I'm using a perfectly functional external keyboard.

5.2K Posts

April 12th, 2010 13:00

Another possibility is that the language is set for Arabic, where text goes right to left.

5.2K Posts

Try THIS. Never heard of it before.

5.2K Posts

I found this item:

Link

Hover the cursor over the Link to see the entry. Having problems adding text to these messages.

5.2K Posts

Since the password entry is after Windows begins loading, there could be a problem with the OS installation. Do you have XP, Vista or Win 7? If this has only happened a short time ago, try to Restore to a date prior to the problem.

Other possibilities:

1 - Do an F12 at the boot and do the extended Dell Diagnostics.

2 - Re install the Chipset driver for the 1501.

3 - Reinstall the video driver.

4 - Run sfc /scannow in a Command Box ( run as an administrator)

5 - Do a repair install of the OS. Procedure depends on the Windows version you have.

6 - Backup all you data and reinstall the Factory Image.

7 - Do a clean install of the OS.

I did a quick web search and didn't find this problem anywhere else. I'll look some more.

April 12th, 2010 14:00

Its got nothing to do with windows as soon as I switch on the computer I get these really loud beeping - like you'd get if you started bashing keys when the computer isn't expecting an input, or if a key was stuck down.

I booted from the dell diagnostics CD and the beeping went on most of the way through the boot until the utility loaded.  The diagnostics CD says one of the keys is stuck - except I have removed the keyboard!

1 Message

September 18th, 2014 06:00

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with my laptop.
so i just wanted to know if you could fix the problem, and if yes, how ?

1 Message

January 7th, 2015 04:00

Its a great help.....me also having same issue..solve by removing media button panel. Thanks to all

No Events found!