Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Studio 1557 black screen

Hi all. I have a problem regarding my 4-years old laptop dell studio 1557... It happend one day that, while i was using it,  the screen ( Maybe for overheating problems) turned completely black, so i shutted it down. Now when i turn it on , the screen would stay black forever. i tried to disassemble the whole screen and i found the connector the between the screen and the motherboard a little oxidized on the screen side... what should i do? is there any way to make something appear on my screen again? any suggestions?? thanks! Marco

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Hi Marco,

It seems that there could be an issue with either the LCD on the computer, or there could be a problem with the video card inside the laptop. But first, this kind of issue also occurs if there is any residual power left inside the computer. So lets try and remove the residual power first. The steps are as follows:

• Unplug all the devices connected to the laptop.
  • Unplug the charger
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button down for 30 to 40 seconds
  • Plug the battery back in
  • Plug the charger back in

Now power on the computer and check if you see any video on the screen coming up. If not, then try and connect an external good known working monitor to the laptop. If you see the video on the monitor's screen after connecting it to the laptop then probably the LCD of the laptop has gone bad and needs replacement.

If you do not have an external monitor to test then run the LCD BIST (LCD Diagnostics) on the laptop. To run LCD BIST:

• Shut the computer down
  • Press and hold the 'D' key on the keyboard
  • Don't let go off the 'D' key. While pressing it down, press the power button once.
  • Release all the keys

If you see different solid colors like red, green, blue etc on the laptop screen then be sure your LCD is fine and Video card has gone bad. If you do not see any colors then your LCD for sure has gone bad and needs replacement.

Please reply with your findings.

2 Posts

August 6th, 2013 11:00

Thank you very much!! i did all the things you wrote: the first steps didnt work (even with an external lcd monitor) but the LCD BIST did work! At least i know the screen is fine

I want to ask you another thing now:  is it fine that the led just on top of the charger's slot in the laptop turn off after some instants that i plug the charger in?  

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 6th, 2013 12:00

Hi Marco,

Yes you are right. If you were able to see the colors on the screen without any distortion then the screen is fine. So if your computer is still under warranty then part replacement can be an option. (You can log on to Dell Support website and enter the service tag or express service code there and check warranty status)

If your laptop is not under warranty anymore then I would suggest replacing the LCD Cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard and check if the video comes up. If not, then the video card has gone bad for sure (as you mentioned earlier, you could not even see anything on the external monitor). The next step would be either get the motherboard replaced or a new computer, as the cost of the motherboard will itself cost you somewhere around $250 or higher.

Talking about the LED on the charger slot, could you please elaborate the issue further? I am sorry I was not able to figure out the whole situation. Is it that the light on the charger goes off when you plug the charger to the laptop's charging port?

Awaiting for your reply.

No Events found!