Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

3 Posts

December 13th, 2008 15:00

Studio 17 Keyboard problem (solved already)

Hi, I fixed this - pretty much by accident - but couldn't find it mentioned in any online help, so I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

First the symptoms;

I was having keyboard problems; Some keys needed pressing several times and even then were problematical.  The worst culprits were in a circle i-o-l-m-n-h-u, but it spread wider sometimes and sometimes was almost normal.  What REALLY didn't help was that most of my logon password is in that circle :(  Oh, and the arrow keys were working on a single press basis, holding them down did nothing.

Now it gets stranger; clicking onto the guest account, randomly typing in notepad, then coming back out and into my own account mostly cleared the problem for a while.  It SEEMED like hardware mainly, but sometimes like software.  I was abroad at the time so I was trying to put up with it until I got home and could call the help desk without needing a mortgage!

Anyway, on the day that I got home, the touchpad completely gave up, completely unresponsive.  I'm getting annoyed by this time - the laptop is only 4 months old.  I checked the website again and found something for the touchpad - drain the "flea power" (whatever that is).  Did that and lo and behold, the keyboard was fixed.  Go figure.

So, if anyone has similar problems, try draining the flea power - power down the laptop, disconnect everything, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, then put it all back together and power it up.

I hope that this helps someone.

1 Message

March 12th, 2010 10:00

Problem: keyboard stopped responding, mouse pad, mouse working on a less than 6 months olf Studio XPS 16.

Answer: was provide by the post below. Thank you! It worked.

Bricorn wrote the following post at 12-13-2008 5:38 PM:

So, if anyone has similar problems, try draining the flea power - power down the laptop, disconnect everything, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, then put it all back together and power it up.

I hope that this helps someone.

1 Message

May 4th, 2010 16:00

I actually registered as a dell community member just so i could thank you! Only had my studio 1500 for about half a year and sometimes it turns off by itself ( i assume its overheating, i game alot) and this time when i started it back up the keyboard wasn't working. just thought you should know that you saved me alot of trouble and that you are already more tech savvy than most of the "techs" dell hire!

2 Posts

May 30th, 2010 16:00

What a crazy fix...but I love IT. Fixed my DVD burner too. Dell owes you thousands of dollars in saved support calls!!!

2 Posts

June 18th, 2010 20:00

I'm having the same problem as OP. Keys randomly stop working all the time and I have to type in notepad to get them working in other applications again. Keyboard seems to act like CNTL key is pressed until I do so. When I first got my Studio 1737 I sent it back to fix the creaky palmrest and figured that maybe they seated the keyboard wrong. I'll try this though. Hopefully it works for me too.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2010 15:00

I'm having the same problem as OP. Keys randomly stop working all the time and I have to type in notepad to get them working in other applications again. Keyboard seems to act like CNTL key is pressed until I do so. When I first got my Studio 1737 I sent it back to fix the creaky palmrest and figured that maybe they seated the keyboard wrong. I'll try this though. Hopefully it works for me too.

I was skeptical that this would work in my case but I tried it and sure enough it worked for me too! Woohoo, I'm so happy. Ty. The problem was not mechanical after all.

I hope that Dell techs get an advisory on this to better serve their customers as I can only  imagine the frustration of having to resolve this problem if they're not aware of this great trick.

1 Message

July 20th, 2010 14:00

Another thank you, thank you, thank you! I signed up on this forum just to tell you thanks!!!! :D I wasbeginning to think that I'd have to go into Dell to fix this problem. I'm relieved that I don't. Saved me time and money! :D

1 Message

September 1st, 2010 09:00

Hi, Bricorn!

I don't know you, but you are my hero.  I work from home building websites, and my keyboard suddenly stopped working this morning.  I checked the drivers, did a system restore, etc. etc. and nothing worked.  When I found your post, I decided to give it a shot, and here I am typing this on my working keyboard!!  Since I have some deadlines soon and was convinced that I was going to have to put my computer in the shop for a repair, I was less than happy about the whole prospect.  My clients and I both thank you!!!!!!! 

Thanks again for posting something you had already solved.

Karen

http://guppyfishweb.com

1 Message

September 20th, 2010 15:00

I am such a total non-technical computer user and didn't expect this to work - but it really did! I too have signed up just to say thanks - especially as I am expecting a whole big chunk of work in the next couple of days. So, really, a big BIG 'thank you'.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2010 10:00

Wow--thank you so very much!  It's worked....so far! :emotion-5:

1 Message

October 9th, 2010 15:00

Thank you SO much for posting this.  The keyboard on my Studio XPS stopped working this morning . . . I can't believe I came across your post so quickly.  Anyway, the problem sounded similar to mine, so I gave it a shot and it worked . . . I'm back up and running.  Just wanted to let you know how much you taking the time to share this is appreciated!!

1 Message

October 29th, 2010 13:00

Thanks, Bricorn! My entire keyboard stopped working this morning right in the middle of working on a spreadsheet. I hooked up an external keyboard and tried to troubleshoot without much success. I was looking into how I could replace the keyboard and who I could get to do so (while visions of $$$ danced in my head), when I found this post. I gave it a try and, sure enough, it fixed the problem! Thank you so much!

3 Posts

November 4th, 2010 02:00

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

This totally helped me out as well!

1 Message

November 11th, 2010 03:00

Just another THANK YOU!

This worked for me when my Dell Studio Laptop keyboard suddenly stopped working- it was so bad i had to search for this on my phone as I had no laptopop keyboard at all.

Switch off, unplug, remove battery, replace battery re-start.

1 Message

November 21st, 2010 14:00

Thanks, I got exactly same problem with the keyboard of my Studio 15 Dell,  the center keys (Y/U/H/J/N/M/7, back space) do not respond  after I removed the stuck "DVD" disk in the player's slot (not tray, by inserting a credit card to pry out when pressing 'Eject" key). I though I damaged the keyboard by doing this way. Then I found your article in the forum about the Dell keyboard problem. By following your solution, I power off the laptop and removed its battery for about 2 minutes. Put battery back, power on and booted up and the keyboards worked right away. Thank again.

1 Message

November 25th, 2010 23:00

Thankyou Bricorn for your post. Like others I am also satisfied. I ran into the same problem today and fixed it as per your advice. Thankyou so much again!

Best regards.,

No Events found!