Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

3 Posts

December 13th, 2008 15:00

Studio 17 Keyboard problem (solved already)

Hi, I fixed this - pretty much by accident - but couldn't find it mentioned in any online help, so I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

First the symptoms;

I was having keyboard problems; Some keys needed pressing several times and even then were problematical.  The worst culprits were in a circle i-o-l-m-n-h-u, but it spread wider sometimes and sometimes was almost normal.  What REALLY didn't help was that most of my logon password is in that circle :(  Oh, and the arrow keys were working on a single press basis, holding them down did nothing.

Now it gets stranger; clicking onto the guest account, randomly typing in notepad, then coming back out and into my own account mostly cleared the problem for a while.  It SEEMED like hardware mainly, but sometimes like software.  I was abroad at the time so I was trying to put up with it until I got home and could call the help desk without needing a mortgage!

Anyway, on the day that I got home, the touchpad completely gave up, completely unresponsive.  I'm getting annoyed by this time - the laptop is only 4 months old.  I checked the website again and found something for the touchpad - drain the "flea power" (whatever that is).  Did that and lo and behold, the keyboard was fixed.  Go figure.

So, if anyone has similar problems, try draining the flea power - power down the laptop, disconnect everything, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, then put it all back together and power it up.

I hope that this helps someone.

1 Message

March 13th, 2012 21:00

Holy stinking cow!!  HOLY STINKING COW!!!  I can't believe this worked!!!  My mom was having a problem with her Dell Studio 1737 laptop ever since I convinced her to install Skype ~ she said it would not let her type into the field on IE8.  When we installed Skype on my duaghters computer, her wireless adapter stoppped working, so I figured it had to be Skype!.  Well, I was over there tonight, first made sure she wasn't making up her problem :emotion-7:.  Well, then I found that her keyboard didn't work at all!!  I was able to click my was thru uninstalling Skype, rebooting, that didn't work.  Then I followed another blog saying to uninstall the keyboard driver and let it install - that did not work.  The in my Googling, I found this blog.  I'm a pretty technically savvy guy, and when I read this said to myself "these people are nuts".  Before I let my mom walk off a ledge, I gave it a shot.  Powered down, pulled ot everything tha was pluggd in, pulled the battery out, then waited a few minutes.  I was going thru various aspects of hardware and software in my head to consider how this would work.  Okay, the time came . . . plugged in the unplugged items, then the power (kept the battery out for now), booted up .... VOILA!!!  Shocked and amazed!   So I read some more on this draiining the "flea power", but don't understand how this could have rendered the keyboard completely nonfunctioning.   Dell, can you explain in detail?  And by the way, Dell, it's March 2012 - you haven't worked this bug out in 3 years, huh?!??!?!?

1 Message

March 19th, 2012 13:00

That's really amazing,, got my laptop working after doing this

Thanks so much.

1 Message

July 4th, 2012 08:00

This keyboard issue popped up for me on my Studio 17...google search after hours of yankin my hair out and this worked beautifully. THANKS so much for the original post!  i was fearing a large repair bill.

1 Message

July 20th, 2012 18:00

Thank You!! so glad your post is there here! ...can't believe I didn't think of this myself 'cuz I know it works on a desktop if you just disconnect the keyboard and reboot. Thanks for your help!! Blessings to you!

1 Message

September 16th, 2012 17:00

THANK YOU!

I am recommissioning an older Inspiron that suffered a disk crash a while ago. In the mean time it seems the battery went dead. Reinstalling the system was a nightmare with the touchpad cursor jumping around and the keyboard variously accepting and rejecting keystrokes. I spent 2 days searching for variant drivers and adjusting any parameter that might affect the input devices.

Finally I stumbled on this thread and popped out the useless battery. And everything immediately worked like new!

1 Message

October 23rd, 2012 07:00

Tip top, thanks this sorted my suddenly dead Studio 17 keyboard too!

1 Message

February 11th, 2013 16:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Are you still getting emails about the Dell Studio Keyboard? Here it is 2/11 2013 and your advice is still saving lives! We were about to throw out the computer and your help fixed the problem! (Now the only question is, how long will it stay fixed??) Really appreciate you putting the word out there for the rest of us! Bless you! My keys were not working consistently, the back arrow would only work singly, the pad didn't work, and the numlock wouldn't go off  - same symptoms as others in this posting site. How weird! I ended up first spending about $85 getting Dell "help" over the phone, then we had to buy a mouse, then we tried to replace the keyboard, all of these things helped at first, but the symptoms came back. Bravo!

mburke

2 Posts

February 18th, 2013 05:00

I have read every post here and so happy for all of those with success. However, I've tryed everything and crossed my heart, my fingers and prayed as I shut down, unplugged, etc. Still NO Success. I had multiple problems going on the past few days and have managed to fix all, including the lettered keys that were typing multiple letters mixed with numbers. I somehow can't manage to fix the numbered keys at least for now.  I fixed them once a couple days ago, but the next day they were doing the same thing again. I took the delete cover off the keyboard and put it back on this time and the letters starting working again, but I"m not really sure if that's what fixed it because I tryed so many things. LOL

Before I fixed the lettered keys the top and bottom row worked fine, while the middle row starting with the letter "A" (all except the letters g and h)  would give me a 2 to 3 letters, numbers and/or symbols such as letter k would come out like this k=8.  The letter A would give me `a1

I'm still having problems with the numbered keys except the numbers 3 and 9. 

This is what I get:

1  `1 (the letter a connected to it before fixed)

2 opens window help and support (the s did the same thing before fixed)

3 is fine

4 gives me 54

5 gives me 54

6 gives me 67

7 gives me 67

8 gives me =8 (the letter k use to connect to it as well)

Does anybody have any other suggestions after reading my exact problem?  

I do hope someone is still reading this thread after so many years.  By the way, the laptop is a Dell, using Windows 7.

Thanks!

DaGramma

2 Posts

February 18th, 2013 05:00

I have read every post here and so happy for all of those with success. However, I've tryed everything and crossed my heart, my fingers and prayed as I shut down, unplugged, etc. Still NO Success. I had multiple problems going on the past few days and have managed to fix all, including the lettered keys that were typing multiple letters mixed with numbers. I somehow can't manage to fix the numbered keys at least for now.  I fixed them once a couple days ago, but the next day they were doing the same thing again. I took the delete cover off the keyboard and put it back on this time and the letters starting working again, but I"m not really sure if that's what fixed it because I tryed so many things. LOL

Before I fixed the lettered keys the top and bottom row worked fine, while the middle row starting with the letter "A" (all except the letters g and h)  would give me a 2 to 3 letters, numbers and/or symbols such as letter k would come out like this k=8.  The letter A would give me `a1

I'm still having problems with the numbered keys except the numbers 3 and 9. 

This is what I get:

1  `1 (the letter a connected to it before fixed)

2 opens window help and support (the s did the same thing before fixed)

3 is fine

4 gives me 54

5 gives me 54

6 gives me 67

7 gives me 67

8 gives me =8 (the letter k use to connect to it as well)

Does anybody have any other suggestions after reading my exact problem?  

I do hope someone is still reading this thread after so many years.  By the way, the laptop is a Dell, using Windows 7.

Thanks!

DaGramma

1 Message

February 18th, 2013 12:00

Great tip. I just rant into this issue after 2 years of buying this laptop. 

Guess what, this still works. Worked and fixed the keyboard right away. 

Thanks again for the tip.

1 Message

March 1st, 2013 14:00

Looks like nearly 4 years since your post.  Very glad I found it.  My numeric keypad suddenly refused to output numbers.  No matter if  NumLk was on or off, it acted like it was off.   the "/*-+ and enter keys worked, but 2468 acted like arrow keys, and the rest were dead.  Very frustrating.  I saddled myself with a heavy 17" partly because I had to have the numeric keypad. 

I delayed trying to "drain the flea power" when I found this forum because I was an hour into some lengthy video conversions. I tried what BLACK_ROSES said, unplugged AC power, and Voilà! I had numbers again.  Now with power plugged back in, everything is just fine.

Thank you  to all who contributed to this forum.

Oh, and "abgesicherter Modus" means secured, and refers to the English Win OS  "safe mode"  -  of no use in this case

1 Message

May 2nd, 2013 14:00

I just wanted to thank you for posting this about the "flea power". I followed your instructions to a tee and voila my keyboard is working again. Being computer illiterate you have saved me money and again, I thank you!!!!!

1 Message

July 27th, 2013 09:00

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

My life is on this box and when I came down this morning to begin work, no keyboard. Your post saved me! Worked like a charm and I'm back up and running again. You really are a life saver! May you always have a fair wind and a following sea!

15 Posts

September 11th, 2013 23:00

Wow add my name to the list of thankful people for this post. 

I was trying to reinstall windows 7 from a boot USB I made with microsoft's own USB boot tool and it went horribly awry, said it was missing the install.wim file so I restarted just to boot normally but found my keyboard and biometric fingerprint reader both not working. The mouse worked fine so I was able to enable onscreen keyboard and get into the actual OS which was fine. Uninstalled keyboard driver several times but nothing, then on the second reboot mouse stopped working too!

found this on ipad and just unplugged, pulled out battery, waited 2 minutes, rebooted and all seems to be fine now. 

I flashed bios this morning from A05 to A09 as I've noticed high temps so am still a little worried that might be causing problem but I think it was my trying to boot from usb and then that failing. 

But this simple power off and unplug seems to have worked. 

Thanks!

2 Posts

November 11th, 2014 18:00

I read in this forum that you could try turning the computer off. Wait at least a minute. Then hold the power button down for a minute. It worked! Now my keys are acting normal again. I have no idea why but am grateful to this forum and hope this helps someone else!

No Events found!