Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

55 Posts

September 8th, 2008 14:00

Studio 17: what are the minimum number of drivers to install?

Hi all:

I bought a basic Studio 17 setup mostly for internet browsing and photoediting. I want to do a Vista clean install and wonder what drivers I do really need at minimum in rder to make the system functional but not too cluttered.

Also, I don't understand why speakers sound so high-pitched and volume is so low. I have them at max and the sample music is not loud at all, my DVDs are barely heard although on my old Inspiron 8500 I can watch and listen them very loud and clear with lots of bass.

Thanks

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

Standard Keyboard

Hi Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 WUXGA (1920x1200)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1

8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

High Definition Audio Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card

Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

Microsoft Works

6 Cell Battery

1 Year Return to Depot Service and Technical Support

No Finger Print Reader

September 8th, 2008 16:00

Take note if the file is listed as a Driver, or a Utility, or an Application, generally only Drivers are necessary.

Things that you don't need to install are drivers for hardware you don't have, things in the Applications section that you don't need (i.e. Docking Application if you don't use a Dock), or Utilities (like Diagnostics) that you don't need right now. But you should be reading the description of each file before you decide if it's something you want installed on your system. You also don't generally need to flash your BIOS unless you're having motherboard issues.

55 Posts

September 8th, 2008 17:00

Thanks, I wasn't specific I guess. When I entered my service tag I got many options that are irrelevant to my setup. For instance, do I really need

Dell Wireless 5720 VZW Mobile Broadband (EVDO Rev-A) MiniCard (urgent)? and Utility (urgent)?

(if I have Dell Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bg))

What are the video drivers? Dell stopped writing descriptions of their drivers. Go figure.

I still have no idea what I really need. I guess My Computer/Devices will tell me what I'm missing )))

Message Edited by rammmstein on 09-08-2008 01:08 PM
No Events found!