Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2011 13:00

Studio XPS 1647 HDMI no Video or Audio

Alright, I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if the above solution has been posted and I have yet to find the answer (I found the 100+ posts for HDMI Audio, but those are no good to me until I can get my Video working).  I am attempting to get my XPS 1645 to 'Duplicate' or 'Extend' to my Samsung 52" LCD HDTV.  I have another HP laptop, which works fine through it's HDMI to my Samsung (therefore I don't think it's the TV or my cord).  I spend a total of 6 hours on the phone with Dell.  Just this morning they sent a rep out to my home to replace the entire motherboard in my XPS 16, which includes the HDMI connector.  This has not worked, and given that it's a new motherboard, it would not seem to be a hardware issue.  The Dell rep also had me try the  realtek ati hdmi driver on RealTek's site, however that did not seem to work.

When I open up catalyst control panel and i can see my tv's name (samsung) but it wont send the video to the tv. I can set to duplicate, extend, etc and nothing happens. I have the latest drivers from Dell's website. The strange thing is that if I change the resolution within Catalyst Control Center (from say 1920x1080 to 1280x720) for the samsung display, my samsung will display the changed resolution on it's screen.  This tells me that the CCC is seeing my Samsung, the samsung is recognizing the resolution settings, but still there is no video displayed. 

Here are my stats:

Studio XPS 16 Notebook
Intel CoreTM i5 520M processor (2C/4T, 2.4-2.93 GHz, 3M L3)
4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
15.6 inch Wide Screen 16:9 1080p Full HD WLED LCD, W/2.0 MP, XPS 1645
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB (Sofware Version 2010.0122.858.16002)

Any help is appreciated, as I believe the Dell rep I have been working with is at her witts end.  If it helps, I could give you the Drivers Downloads page which I've been downloading things from.  Just let me know.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2011 07:00

Still waiting to hear back from the Dell rep, however if anyone has any other suggestions on something I could try, it would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2011 15:00

I am having the same issue with a Dell 1747.  Be interested to hear what Dell Rep says, as I have not been able to get any information.

5 Posts

January 7th, 2011 12:00

I'm guessing others out there have had the same issue.  Maybe a laptop replacement is the only fix?

5 Posts

January 11th, 2011 07:00

Did I mention the VGA works fine?  Both myself, and Dell are at a loss.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2011 05:00

Just to give closure to this issue, I had read one previous post where a person had the same issue as me, and it turned out to be an incompatibility between the ATI card and the LCD set.  In my case, this too was the issue.  I tried my HDMI on a friends TV (also a Samsung, but different model), and it worked perfectly.  So my only option is to buy a new tv, or just deal with the fact that it won't work through HDMI.  I'm not buying a new set  :-)

Hope this helps someone else.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2011 21:00

Would also like information on why HDMI works one day on Studio XPS 1645, then another day does not work.  Display adapter is ATI Radeon HD 4670.

Worked fine on my Panasonic TV, but not on Samsung??  

Anyone with a suggestion, would be great.

Yes it is all connected properly and source on tv is chosen correctly.

On Laptop, external monitors work, Triple Head2Go works, but HDMI????

38 Posts

March 15th, 2015 08:00

Anyone ever resolve this issue?  I'm thinking it is hardware related.  Cant believe a $1700 laptop cannot connect to HDMI.  I bought this thing thinking it would outlast - but support told me to wait on drivers.  That never happened.  Then it was conveniently out of warranty.

#NotBuyingaDellEverAgain

No Events found!