Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2009 15:00

Studio XPS16 Laptop GPU Upgrade

Interested in the Studio XPS16 Laptop but wondering if down the line I can remove the "ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 3670 - 512MB" GPU card and replace with another....either nVidia or ATI.  My understanding is the the system would require a PCI-express slot and that on most laptops the GPU is "soldered" to the main board.  The salesman has indicated to me that the GPU is upgradeable on this model but I'm looking for second opinion. If it is "not upgradeable", is there a Dell laptop that is??

Thanks in advance.

1.6K Posts

March 20th, 2009 16:00

It is not upgradeable.  The only two remaining Dell models with separate video cards are the XPS M1730 and the high-end Precision mobile workstation.  Everything else has video integrated into the system board - just like all the other manufacturers have done for years now.

5 Posts

Thanx for the response. That is exactly what I assumed.  It's unfortunate that the sales staff don't have all the facts.  I have it on paper from them that it is "upgradeable".

Much appreciated.....not sure if the M1730 is in the budget!!!!

1.6K Posts

For that reason I wish they'd drop the "card" description of the video chip - someday, someone will call them on the terminology.  It is misleading.

No Events found!