Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2013 16:00

Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station - No power to laptop?

Laptop is on and plugged into the docking station which is "powered".  Connection to monitor / keyboard and mouse is fine, however I'm surprised to see a lower power - plug is soon message.  Isn't docking station supposed to provide power to the laptop?

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

The documentation for the Super Speed USB 3.0 docking station does not state the laptop must be charged by a separate power source.  The images in the documentation show only the USB uplink between the two devices with power going to the docking station.  This is the docking station Dell states is supported by the Latitude 3440 I just purchased.  Having to crawl under a desk and unplug and plug in an AC adapter every time I take or return my laptop defeats the purpose of having a docking station.  Calling this a docking station is false advertisement.  Label it what it is, port replicator, and disclose the fact that it will not power a laptop.  Customers do not like to me lied to or misled as you have done here.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2014 22:00

Actually, I believe what makes a docking station a docking station, is because it is a device which actually connects to a docking port. Thus the name docking station. A usb port is not a docking port. A docking port is a single port which provides many pins so different protocols such as video, audio, usb, and yes power etc. all have their own connections so they may run at their full potential. A docking port is not a conversion of many protocols to a usb signal, then trying to cram it two ways across far fewer pins. And seeing as all 'docking ports' as far as I know, do have power connectors in them, I can see how Dell's calling a port replicator a 'docking station' could confuse somebody. I don't believe it to be an honest mistake either, just deceitful tactics of the marketing department to take advantage of what people believe to be a docking port so they can make a nickel. Think of it not as a shipping dock, with full access to power, fuel, water, sewage connections, the whole works. But rather a boat anchor so you can anchor your ship off shore, then take your time waiting on what ever ship to shore transportation boats you can find to cart a limited amount of resources through a limited method.

November 3rd, 2014 03:00

Sure,

My wife and I have 60 years of combined IT experience. We've never heard of a docking station that doesn't pass the voltage to a closed-lid laptop's (usually proprietary) AC contact dock--which also has AC-DC transformer(s). As I type this note, I'm looking at my wife's HP and Lenovo docking stations that are charging the inserted laptops, in addition to provided peripheral connections. Devices that only connect peripherals are called "Port Replicators."

We've never bought computers in any form for personal use; we build them. But the work notebooks we've used since the 1980s, including my last Dell circa 1998--have all come with Docking Stations to charge the battery, run the notebook computer and drive the Dock peripherals like monitors, keyboards, mice, external drives, etc.

So, you are absolutely, positively, unequivocally, undeniably, incontrovertibly incorrect about Dell never manufacturing and providing power via their docking stations. Hell man, what do you think the point of a docking station if you can't plug and unplug the notebook without worrying about power supply cords?

I've got the Super Speed USB 3.0 "Docking Station" (read: Port Replicator), that I use with my modified Dell Inspiron 7720 17R. I scrapped the idiotic hybrid drive and installed two SSDs and use the micro SSD chip from the hybrid drive as a third SSD drive. I also replaced the slow 4GB of RAM with fast 16GB to better run Windows 8.1 and Linux virtual machines. The point is there is less of a power demand with all these changes because there are no moving parts, except for the optical drive which I rarely use, and the cooling fans. Still the 7720 has poor battery life-perhaps one hour. I attribute that to the NVidia and Intel HD4000 graphics combination and HD LED LCD screen.  So when using the laptop, I inevitably have to connect it to the 130 watt power supply. This computer screams for a real docking station. With the external monitor drawing the most power, the Super Speed should still be able to power the notebook and charge the battery. I've done the watt calculations for my setup.

Also, the Super Speed documentation setup guide DOES NOT show the 130 Watt power supply connected to the notebook; just the USB 3.0 connector. So the documentation is either misleading or shoddy--pick one.

The Super Speed 3.0 is a port replicator. Period. The 7720 17R has quad core 8 thread power, and screams with the SSDs. But it makes a poor work notebook without a dock power connector and docking station. It's annoying having to tote power supplies everywhere.  Especially since Dell sent a second power supply rated at only 90 Watts. I'll have to buy a second 130 Watt supply. Hell, I won't pay Dell--I'll make my own extra power supply.

BTW, I do like your Cardinal icon. Does that represent the Louisville Cardinals? Welcome to the ACC. I'm having a good time razzing some relatives who thought Louisville would win the ACC football title in their first year. I predicted a .500 record. Bingo, 3-3 with no chance to play in the Championship Game. But as long as you beat Notre Lame, it's all good. :)

Cheers,

Eric Webb

UNC, Astrophysics Cosmology Department

4 Posts

November 16th, 2014 06:00

PC64

I've used Dell docking stations for years at work, and they always charged the laptop so I didn't require an additional cord.  I kept my power chord at home because I didn't need it at work.

I also assumed this was one of the advantages of using them.  I'm disappointed, because now I need to use an additional outlet for the dock.  I can't seem to find the same type of station for home use.  

To be clear, even the standard docking stations require an additional power cord.  The only difference is that those docking stations include the power cord when you purchase them, and the power cord connects into the docking station itself rather than directly into your laptop.

You didn't specify what model laptop you have, but if you have one of the standard Dell docking connectors on the bottom, finding a docking station should be easy.  If not, a USB 3.0 docking station such as this is your only option, and any of them will require you to supply a power cord if you wish to charge your laptop while using it.

To re-clarify the standard "docking port" does NOT use an additional power cord. It uses a single power cord to both power it's various ports, and runs power across the docking port pins to charge the laptop.

A port replicator uses an additional cord. You plug one into the replicator to power that unit, then one into the laptop to keep it charged.

The unit in question is wrongfully called a "docking station". It is not a docking station. You can't plug it into your "docking port".

It uses a power cord just to power itself, and if you want to charge the laptop, you must connect an "additional" power cord (two power cords).

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 5th, 2013 23:00

Hi carpediemlara,

To assist you further, please provide me the model of the laptop and docking station.

Awaiting your response!

May 6th, 2013 16:00

Thank you, Nikhil,

Inspiron 5721 laptop and D3000 docking station.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 7th, 2013 01:00

Hi carpediemlara,

The D3000 docking station is designed in such a way that it can only charge USB devices if connected to the USB 3.0 power share port. It cannot charge the laptop neither the laptop cannot supply charge to docking station.

The adapter used on the docking station supplies power only to the docking station and a separate AC adapter should be used to charge the laptop.

Please reply for further help.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2013 06:00

Hi

Further to this thread, we have recently purchased  SuperSpeed USB 3.0 D/S, however the power does not transmit to the laptop. Do we need to buy an additional cable? Currently we have power to both laptop and D/S, and the 'UP' port on the D/S connected to the Laptop USB Port with the supplied cable..  Is this correct? It seems odd that no power is transmitted?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi pedroiskey,

Please post the model of the laptop and Docking station. I will check and assist you further.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi Nikhil,

The laptop is a Latitude E5530 and the D/S is a SuperSpeed USB 3.0.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 13th, 2013 10:00

Hi pedroiskey,

The laptop cannot be charged using the docking station. The USB 3.0 power share ports on the docking station can be used to charge external devices like Mobile phone, MP3 players etc. but not the laptop.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

The documentation for the Super Speed USB 3.0 docking station does not state the laptop must be charged by a separate power source.  The images in the documentation show only the USB uplink between the two devices with power going to the docking station.  This is the docking station Dell states is supported by the Latitude 3440 I just purchased.  Having to crawl under a desk and unplug and plug in an AC adapter every time I take or return my laptop defeats the purpose of having a docking station.  Calling this a docking station is false advertisement.  Label it what it is, port replicator, and disclose the fact that it will not power a laptop.  Customers do not like to me lied to or misled as you have done here.

It sounds like you don't know what a docking station does. The laptop "docks" there.

I have never known a docking station to be used to "charge" a laptop.

Dell did not mislead you. You made assumptions not were not true.

Here is the device in question

I see NOTHING there about being about to charge a laptop. All the discussion was about it extending the USB, Ethernet, and video of the laptop. Here is the quote from Dell's website.

The Dell SuperSpeed USB Docking Station is a sleek, ready-to-use device for connecting your PC notebook to a variety of external displays and devices. A single cable to your laptop provides an instant connection to monitors, Internet, and devices. With high-speed data transfer and multiple video and USB ports, the docking station is a reliable solution for creating a personalized desktop environment.

5 Posts

IEE488,

Speaking of making assumptions that are not true...So because you have never known a docking station to charge a laptop you think I am the one who does not know what a docking station does?  Do a Bing image search for laptop docking station.  Just about every image you see is a docking station that charges the laptop. 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

IEE488,

Speaking of making assumptions that are not true...So because you have never known a docking station to charge a laptop you think I am the one who does not know what a docking station does?  Do a Bing image search for laptop docking station.  Just about every image you see is a docking station that charges the laptop. 

Point me to a docking station that charges a laptop.

Dell's docking stations DO NOT - never have.

What actually happens is that the AC adapter is connected to the docking station and that AC adapter's connection  is passed on to the laptop's docking connector. There is one on the BOTTOM of your E5530 clearly documented on page 51 of the owner's manual had you bothered to read it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Nothing that connects through a USB 3.0 port will power a notebook - USB ports just cannot supply that kind of power.

No Events found!