Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 23rd, 2014 21:00

Synaptic Touchpad stopped working, but will run with the generic windows driver. No scrolling.

I'm running a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  My Synaptic Touchpad stopped working after I updated an academic research program called Papers.  I don't know if that program caused these problems or not, but I'm afraid of uninstalling it because I may lose a lot of data.  (Long story, it's an expired trial version, and to export the data I would have to pay a fair bit of money, which I'm trying to avoid.  Right now all I want is to be able to scroll again.)

Anyway, the pointer would just remain in the default place on the screen, and when I use the keyboard to navigate to the Mouse section of Control Panel it says it "Cannot Connect with Synaptics Pointing Device", etc.  

So I uninstalled the Synaptics software, and restarted.  Now the touchpad works fine, but without any of the vertical or horizontal scrolling capabilities that the Synaptics software had.  

So, here's the current situation: if I install the latest Synaptics touchpad driver from the Dell site, the touchpad doesn't work at all.  If I uninstall it, and reboot with just the PS/2 Mouse generic Windows driver, the touchpad works but without any scrolling options.

I updated the BIOS to A12 from A06, but it didn't fix the problem.

Thank you so much for any help and suggestions!  Let me know if you need any more info.

Aaron

3 Posts

March 28th, 2014 00:00

Anybody here want to take a stab at it?  Or direct me elsewhere?  Much appreciated.  

3 Posts

April 9th, 2014 01:00

Awesome.  Thanks everybody.

10 Posts

December 15th, 2015 14:00

How do you resolve issue?

5 Posts

February 27th, 2017 06:00

I am having the same problem since downgrading to WIndows 7 from Windows 10.

Anyone, please help?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 27th, 2017 13:00

Dell drivers usually do not have many of the usual driver options compared to other OEMs. For my Dells, I usually went to the Toshiba site and downloaded one of their drivers. These usually contained all the pad functions that should be available. You can also check the Synaptics site.

5 Posts

February 27th, 2017 23:00

After much searching, I did end up downloading the Synaptics driver from the Synaptics site, however, the driver says it is installed, but the touchpad still works in a limited capacity.

No Events found!